Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sorting out phone number problems

Sorting out phone number problems

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me advice as to "mass update" options to sort out my phone numbers formatting problems - I have 5000 contacts & I dont want to have to go through changing them 1 by 1.

The following illustrates my problem.

I'm in Australia, country code 61.

To dial a mobile phone from my mobile phone the phone # need to be "+61 419 325 888".

-  If the "+" sign is missing it wont work ie, "61 419 325 888" doesnt work.

-  If the leading "0" in the area code is added it wont work. So "+61 0419 325 888" wont work even though "0419 325 888" will work.

Hardly any of my record conform to the required standard. I think part of the problem is that ACT9 handles phone numbers differently to ACT 6, & most of my contacts were entered using ACT6. Also, when they were entered I wasnt using autodialling so didnt realise the mess being created.

So, how can I: 

- Get the '+" sign in?

- Sort out a problem where I have the country code in twice

- Get rid of the "0" in the area code?

Fingers crossed someone can help!

Thanks Charles 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sorting out phone number problems

What sort of mobile phone do you use?

How are you currently getting the numbers from ACT! to the mobile?

Are you only wanting auodialing from the mobile or from the computer as well?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the message. 

I use an imate jasjam running windows for mobile 6.0 (its also known as an HTC Dopod).

I export my ACT contacts into outlook 2007 business contact manager, & use the business contact manager for mobile application on the Jasjam. This way, I can keep my mobile "contacts" down to a more manageable 300, but have a "full" set of contacts at my disposal through a separate application.

I dont use any of the ACT applications on my mobile because I use Outlook as me calendar & email, & prior experience (ACT 6) was that the ACT applications dont sit side by side very well with outlook.

I hope this gives you the info you need if not let me know.

Thanks & best regards, Charles 

I'd guess the international info is being lost in the send to Outlook. Have a look at the contacts in Outlook to confirm that

How are you doing the export?

You should have a look at the Handheld Contact - it's ACT! on the smart phone and will also record calls/emails from the device in ACT!. There's a free 14-day trial from that link

Thanks Mike,

I'll give it a try, but even so it won't help where I have the country code in twice, the country code plus the leading zero in the area code, no country code and the leading zero in the area code missing etc.

I think the key is to get a good "mass update" capability. This might need to be programmatic so I can say

- "extract all phone numbers starting with "6161" and change to "61"  

- extract all entries starting with "610" and change to "61"

- extract all entries that dont start with a country code and insert "61"

etc etc 

Re the extract into outlook, I simply used the business contact manager eimport from ACT wizard, so I would have thought this would move numbers across OK. 

Best regards, Charles 

Ahhh - you have the CC in the actual phone field.

Having the 0 shouldn't be an issue... most diallers should know to remove a leading 0 after the CC (certainly Handheld Contact does)

One possible option might be to export the contacts to Excel, do the data cleanup of the numbers there and then merge them back in with itImport

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply & suggestions. 

I was hoping to fix this within the standard product rather than buying bolt-ons. Any suggestions in this regard would be much appreciated.

Given it's using an SQL database, it shouldnt be hard for Sage to offer me the flexibility I need in the standard product, & I was hoping it was there, tucked away where I hadnt found it.

Sage needs to be careful it doesnt price itself out of the market - when business contact manager for mobiles is free it is charging a hefty premium for its mobile equivalent.

Also, ACT's edge over Outlook business contact manager is its better manipulation capability - but if every time users like me get into difficulty they have to buy 3rd party tools, then again, it will lose customers.

Many thanks, Charles

haha i have the same problem... guess we have to buy another product on top of this to get any sort of help.