Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sorting by street name

Sorting by street name

Is there a way to separate the street number from the address field so that I can sort by street name only.  That enables me to find out which contacts are located on the same street. 

Copper Contributor

Re: Sorting by street name

In the Detail view window, enter only the street name in Address 1 field. When you go back to list view, there is a little drop down list called "Options" on the top right hand corner. Follow Options->Customize columns. A small dialog box will open where you can choose what fields you would like to appear in the List view. Choose Address , greater than sign ">" and click ok. Now that it shows in the List view, you can sort by just the street name.

Hope this helps!

Ruby K

thanks for the response but that does not help.  I already have all the addressed typed into my database with the street number and street address in the "Address 1" field.  i need it to look over the street number and sort on street address only.

George

Copper Contributor

I do not know if it is possible to split the information and then search even with the advanced query option.

Good luck. Hope you find the answer.

Ruby K
Platinum Elite Contributor

You said sort but I think you really mean lookup or query to find the specific contacts. this can be done simply by right clicking on the address field and choosing Lookup Address. In the dialog change the query type to Contains and then type the stree name in the value field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

thank you for responding.  yes, lookup would work.  it would be much better if I could sort all the contacts on street name that way I can see which streets have numerous at one glance without having to do a look up on each one.

A previous contact management system i used separated the street number from the address which enabled us to do this. 

I guess I could move all the street names to address 2 and leave the number in address one.  that will be a lot of work though.  i am also not sure how that will work with mail merges for the address heading.  Any other ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Here's another option. Setup your contact list view to show contact, company and address and then use the export to Excel. than you can use Excel to split the address column on the space between the number and the stree name and then do the sort on the street  name column.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Super Contributor

Your best bet would be to create two additional fields.  One for street number and one for street name and then put the number in one and the name in the other.  You could get a custom addon written to do it so that the other fields would stay current.  It's an interesting idea.  I've written an addon that does proximity searches and finds all the contacts within x miles from the current contact but it doesn't currently limit the search to the same street.  I'll have to think about that and ask some of my clients if they would be interested.  If you'd like to discuss an addon feel free to give me a call.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!