Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Something stealing focus from primary ACT 2010 screen upon ACT startup

tcv

Something stealing focus from primary ACT 2010 screen upon ACT startup

Hello,

I've noticed an issue in an installation of ACT 2010. I don't have any other installations to play with, so I am unsure if this is common or not.

It's ACT 2010, up to date on all its patches, running on Vista.

When I start the application and, say, immediately begin creating a Contact, while tabbing or typing the cursor will disappear and the window will change color. What seems to be happening is that something else steals focus from the window. If I click the window again, I can continue creating the contact. If I let ACT sit for about a minute or so, the problem goes away.

I had noticed this previously when I opened ACT and immediately started to edit a template. While editing the template, I'd lose focus from the window and have to click it again to continue editing the template. Again, if I let ACT sit for it a bit, the problem would simply cease.

In the hopes of finding a better solution, my current workaround is to open ACT before I really need to use it. I let it sit and then bring it up when I need to do something with it. If I need to use ACT and it's NOT open, I open it and wait until the window focus calms down.

Has anyone else encountered this? And, perhaps, is there a resolution? For what it's worth, this particular user is using the 120 dpi option in Windows to increase the size of the fonts and while I wouldn't expect there to be a connection to _this_ problem, I have seen where that setting specifically causes the lower pane of a contact window to move around a bit when creating new contacts.

Cheers,

m

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Something stealing focus from primary ACT 2010 screen upon ACT startup

The most likely cause of this is that at the initial opening of Act! it runs through some Calendar/Scheduling routines (only done at startup).  Letting Act! open and sit for a minute before beginning to work within it allows these routines to complete.  A common sign that they are complete is the presentation of the alarms and 'roll-over' screens.  The time it takes can vary depending on specs of the machine and how many activities it has to process.

Greg Martin
Sage
tcv

Ah, I see. It's not that big of a deal. The workstation definitely is a bit long in years, so I imagine that's why it seems so much different from ACT 2006.

Since this installation of ACT is not used for Scheduling, is it possible to disable that initial routine? Just had to ask! :-)

Cheers,

m

Platinum Super Contributor

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to disable the intial calendar tasks.  But well worth asking!

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Contributor

Maybe what you coudl do is to go inton ACTSAGE.EXE.CONFIG in the ACT for windows directory and change the following entries to 0 as this will stop the backgroud task from loading.

<!-- Number of seconds after contact detail view is shown to background load other views
       for faster view switching performance (note: 0 seconds means don't background load view)-->
    <add key="BackgroundLoadTaskView" value="0"/>
    <add key="BackgroundLoadCalendarView" value="0"/>
    <add key="BackgroundLoadGroupView" value="0"/>
    <add key="BackgroundLoadCompanyView" value="0"/>
    <add key="BackgroundLoadOpportunityView" value="0"/>
    <add key="BackgroundLoadActivityNotification" value="0"/>
    <!-- Pre-Loads portion of ACT! for faster startup -->
    <add key="FastLoadEnabled" value="true"/>

Have see this work on other client systems

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
tcv

Thanks for that! I tried it and couldn't replicate the problem. Of course, my client will be the one with the final say-so, but I will report results back!