Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Some preferences are not being retained ("Startup", "General") but others are (Act 2011).

Copper Super Contributor

Some preferences are not being retained ("Startup", "General") but others are (Act 2011).

[ Edited ]

Another day, another problem with Act.

I noticed recently that some of my preferences are not being retained (e.g. all of the changes I made on "Startup" and "General" are not being retained) but others are (all other tabs).

They might hold for a day or sometimes weeks, but eventually, they stop being retained and reset to default.  They all reset together. 

Here is a full list of the items that are not permantely being retained.

Preferences:

• Startup: Automatically Check for updates (sometimes retained, sometimes not), Startup Database, Startup View
  • General: Personal Files Location (all those that I changed)
  • Email & Outlook Sync: Outlook address book/settings (I need to run through wizard again)
  • Calendar & Scheduling: All settings changed in both areas.

Lookup dialogue box

I keep with expanded options on view (i.e. "Hide options" is visible)....however, this setting is not retained

Contact Detail

• 'Web info' tab is reset to default links
  • 'Opportunities' tab is reset to default columns

Calendar View

'Work week' defaulted back to 'Today'.

This morning, for some reason, Act failed to start every time I tried.  So I re-installed Act and I even had to remove the SQL instance to get Act to open again.

Since reinstalling, I'm still getting the same issue.

I have tried rebuilding the preferences file (both methods):

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770/kw/preferences%20not%20saving/session...

I'm running:

Act 2011, V 13.1.111.0 Hot Fix 6

Windows 7 x64

There are other threads on this topic.  I started a new thread to bring them together:

Some Preferences Don't Stick

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Some-Preferences-Don-t-Stick/m-p/161000/highlight/true#M50604

Color preferences disappear

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Color-preferences-disappear/m-p/200872/highlight/true#M58199

Can't Change Scheduling Preferences

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Can-t-Change-Scheduling-Preferences/td-p/108520/highlight/true

User Preferences lost after Define fields edits made

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/User-Preferences-lost-after-Define-fields-edits-made/m-p/190641...

Can anyone, especially Sage, provide some help with this issue?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Some preferences are not saving ("Startup", "General") but others are saving (Act 2011).

drmiller,
Some questions:
Specifically, which preference settings are not being retained?
Does this happen when opening/closing ACT! or after a reboot of your machine?
Are they consistently being lost or just sometimes?
Has User Account Control been disabled?
Are your preferences being stored locally on your machine?
When you rebuilt the preferences file, did you remove/rename the entire ACT Data folder? Were there any "Act for Windows (version#)" folders present?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Some preferences are not saving ("Startup", "General") but others are saving (Act 2011).

My Customise Columns wasn't sticking between start-ups (Act2012 Pro, Win 7), not the same issue I know, but Greg Martin suggested that to save these type of changes I 'Run as Administrator' when I start Act (even though I am an administrator). http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Columns-in-Company-History-don-t-stay-customised/m-p/201354#M58...

So far so good. I will probably 'Run as Administer' any time I want to make 'structural' changes, can't see any downside.

Just a thought.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't re-create the problem.  I've tried rebooting, create a new test field and rebooting, and the settings are being retained.  I will monitor this to see if I can see when the settings are being lost. 

Thanks also for the tip re: running Act in Administrator mode.  If I see the issue again I will try this.

Specifically, which preference settings are not being retained?

Startup: Startup Database, Automatically Check for updates, can't remember if Startup Database was retained

General: Personal Files Location

Does this happen when opening/closing ACT! or after a reboot of your machine?

It certainly hasn't happened when I tested a few moments ago.

Are they consistently being lost or just sometimes?

I can't answer for this for sure because I gave up changing them after it happened a few times.

Has User Account Control been disabled?

Yes, disabled.

Are your preferences being stored locally on your machine?

Yes.

When you rebuilt the preferences file, did you remove/rename the entire ACT Data folder? Were there any "Act for Windows (version#)" folders present?

I moved "ACT For Windows 13" and "ACT Data" from the "ACT" folder in "AppData" to my desktop.  I tried this before I re-installed Act but haven't tried rebuilding the preferences file since.

Platinum Super Contributor

For the 'Run as administrator' option (in case I didn't mention it before) - you can set the program to always run as administrator by:
- right click Sage ACT! icon > select Properties
- select Compatibility tab
- enable option to run as admin (at bottom of tab) > click OK to save and close.
Then simply double click on the icon to launch Sage ACT!. It will be the same as right click > select Run as admin.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks.

Should I do this anyway? I was only intending to try this if the problem reoccurred.
Platinum Super Contributor

I would do this anyway, it ensures the program will have the authority to update files and perform functions.  This can prevent a lot of issues caused by Windows UAC being enabled.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

Done, thanks.

PS: UAC is disabled and always has been on my PC.
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks for this advice Greg, I wasn't sure whether I should always Run as Administrator, so I will definitely set this up.

Cheers,

Graham.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Greg,

Switched to Run as Administrator for Act, didn't pick up on it immediately, but found it is causing the dreaded Object Reference error message, (probably wasn't sending a lot of email from Act that day).

See my posts on that here:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Object-Reference-error-on-Contact-email-address-Act-2012-Pro/m-...

Switch off Run as Administrator, contact email works again!

Any thoughts or experience on that?

(BTW, Run as Administrator did not seem to make any long term difference to saving Customised Column Headings for Company History, which was my original issue.)