Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Some Adware scanners reporting ACT9AB32.dll as malware.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Some Adware scanners reporting ACT9AB32.dll as malware.

My Avast 4.8 antivirus suddenly started reporting ACT9AB32.dll as adware everytime I opened Outlook, and ultimately disabled the Outlook addins, and caused booting problems for Outlook. As my ISP has just upgraded to new state of the art anti spam and AV checking, I figured that their definitions are probably more up to date than mine any way, so I have uninstalled Avast - now everything back to normal. On Googling I found a few anti adware websites claiming ACT9AB32.dll as malware, and some don't even know what it is!

Is there a good simple free antivirus email scanner for a laptop (I don't want "active protection" on my whole system, it nearly stops it!) ?

I used to use AVG, but it wont install properly on this system (WinXP, SP2) for some reason. Ditched the Norton AV it came with for obvious reasons!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Some Adware scanners reporting ACT9AB32.dll as malware.

GrahamS,

Since your post, have you found another antivirus program?  I'm suspecting there was a virus definition update that flagged the DLL as infected, malware, etc...  If you're worried that it is infected, then you can replace it from the ACT! installation CD.  If you still haven't found another antivirus program and want to use Avast, you can exclude the DLL from being scanned. 

Heres a link to Avast's knowledgebase that explains how to exclude files.

How can I exclude a file from the on-access protection ?

Couple free antivirus programs that seem to be popular and reliable:

NOD32

Kaspersky

AVG (If you can get it installed again)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

GrahamS,

Since your post, have you found another antivirus program?  I'm suspecting there was a virus definition update that flagged the DLL as infected, malware, etc...  If you're worried that it is infected, then you can replace it from the ACT! installation CD.  If you still haven't found another antivirus program and want to use Avast, you can exclude the DLL from being scanned. 

Heres a link to Avast's knowledgebase that explains how to exclude files.

How can I exclude a file from the on-access protection ?

Couple free antivirus programs that seem to be popular and reliable:

NOD32

Kaspersky

AVG (If you can get it installed again)

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi, thanks for a great reply. I'm pretty sure it was a false positive, the ACT Outlook addins seem to be behaving properly now. My ISP's AV and anti-spam filters are doing a good job, but I must say I'm a bit nervous not having an on board AV. I might retry Avast with the ignore ACT9AB32.dll set up, as up till the FP it was doing a good job. Might also check out Nod 32, I've noticed quite a few people using it.

How do I reinstall a dll fm the install disk? If it's not complicated it might be worth doing in case the dll's are corrupted, although as I said they seem to be working fine now.

Cheers,

Graham