Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

So slow to open

So slow to open

Recently, I upgraded to the newest version of ACT and installed it on a new laptop.  ACT is almost unbearable to open.  Once it's open, i can only perform a couple of tasks before it starts slowing down every application on my desk top.

Any suggestions?

Stacy

Re: So slow to open

I had an identical problem.  After much investigation, the solution was to add memory.  I ramped it up to the max, 2GB in my case, and ACT now opens in around 5 seconds. It seems that many notebooks come with only 512K memory, and this is simply NOT ENOUGH to run ACT without getting into serious file swapping on your hard drive.  Before adding memory it sometimes took over a minute just to open.

Check your "system" in the control panel and see how much memory you have.  If it's less than a gig, I would strongly encourage you to make the addition.  And as a sidenote, I didn't want to mess doing it myself, so I took my notebook to Circuit City and in 10 minutes they had installed it and tested the system etc...  I think it was $40 bucks to have them do it, but I felt it money well spent, and they have the memory in stock for virtually any notebook.

Wes

slew wrote:
Recently, I upgraded to the newest version of ACT and installed it on a new laptop. ACT is almost unbearable to open. Once it's open, i can only perform a couple of tasks before it starts slowing down every application on my desk top.
Any suggestions?
Stacy

I have found that this is caused by the MicroSoft SQL server that the new release is built on. It consumes a great deal of memory and slows down the machine. Be sure that all other applications are not running. Excell is a huge drain on your memory as well. If that doesn't help, then you'll need to upgrade your memory (Ram)to at least 1 gig. More is better. Heavy virus scanners (ie Macafee) can also contribute to the slow startup. You many want to switch to a "lighter" application such as AVG. Good luck, Leo

I've found it to open very slowly as well.  Sometimes I have to click the ACT icon on my toolbar twice in order for it to actually open.  I think it's due to the SQL server.  Very strange. 

I did, however, upgrade my ram to 2gigs so I would recommend to also upgrade your ram in case you haven't yet.

Yes, I too upgraded to the 2008 vista version.  Bottom line, my computer experts had me upgrade to 3+ Gb Ram and mulit-processor system.  Now we work just fine.  I'm told its not only Act but the newer operating systems that require bunches of RAM and multi-processors.
Good luck!
Pastor E.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Also, while ACT! 10 does require more RAM to get similar start speeds to ACT! 6, it don't slow down as your database grows like the old versions did