Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Tasks - Triggered by field changing to 'LOST CUSTOMER'

Copper Contributor

Smart Tasks - Triggered by field changing to 'LOST CUSTOMER'

Hi All

I want to generate some activity that takes places when a field changes from Customer to Lost Customer.

I would prefer it was automatic and would:

1.  Send an email
  2. Diarise an activity.

I can create a smart task to manage 1 & 2 above but have come across the following issues:

1. Within the email, I don't know how to insert the name of the individual into the email?
  2. I want the smart task triggered when the field changes ideally, I know you can get the smart task to run automatically in the background but how do I stop it performing this activity on all accounts that have had the status changed to Lost customer. Is there a field that can recognise ID status changed today, for example?

I am using Act Pro V18.1.103.0 Update 3

Windows 10

Database is local.

Many thanks and any other suggestions also welcome.

Ernie

Administrator

Re: Smart Tasks - Triggered by field changing to 'LOST CUSTOMER'

Hi Ernie,

What you want to do is certainly achievable. In answer to your questions:

1. There are two email steps you can use in smart tasks: Send E-mail, and Send Email Campaign. Only the latter allows you to include mail-merge fields (i.e. the contact's name). You'll need an Act! emarketing account to use this (a free one should be sufficient), and create a suitable template for the email.
  2. The type of smart task you'll want to use is "Run when conditions are met". This only triggers when changes are made that match the conditions after the smart task is run. Contacts matching the conditions before it's run will not trigger the smart task.

A quick note on "Run when conditions are met" smart tasks: They can sometimes take a while to run after a change is saved. You can check the status of active smart tasks in the Status tab of the Manage Smart Tasks window.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary

Is it possible to somehow link this to the field, set field triggers?

I created a test contact 40 minutes ago and I'm still waiting for the smart task to auto run, is this the sort of timescale you should expect?

Ernie

Administrator

Hi Ernie,

Unfortunately, smart tasks cannot be linked to field triggers. It can take up to several hours for the smart task to trigger.

For a more predictable result, you can use the "Run at scheduled time" type of smart task. This could be set to perform the actions once a day for all lost customers since the previous time it was run. For this scenario, all matching contacts would trigger the actions, so adding a condition to only include contacts edited with the last few days, and enabling "Run only once for any record" should filter out any old customers, and not allow subsequent edits to re-trigger the actions for that particular contact.