Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Task to clear fields?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Smart Task to clear fields?

Is it possible to set up a smart task to clear character fields with field entry triggers? I know that you cannot update date, currency, time, yes/no, number, memo, decimal and currency fields using a smart task, but character fields are okay. It seems possible given that I can use Edit > Replace Field > choose character field and replace with " space " which successfully clears character fields.  I have tried to set up a smart task to clear character fields based on field triggers to no avail. It seems to me that Smart Tasks really aren't that "smart". 

For reference, I'm using Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 7

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Smart Task to clear fields?

Lets try this

1. Set up a smart task trigger based on edit criteria. And let the criteria be 'Edit Date' = '1/10/2020' AND fieldthattriggers 'contains data'
2. Now use the 'Update field' task to update the value of the target field to blank.

Haven't tested it. But I hope it works.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you kindly for your help, AlanSmith.

It partially works. Freeflow character/text field will clear. But drop down fields will not (which is the majority of the fields that I need to be cleared). The error that comes back is "only list values are allowed for Update Field". I've tried setting drop down menu selection to 'blank' which doesn't work even though the fields are set to either accept a drop down value or remain empty. Still seems counter intuitive since both freeflow character fields as well as drop down fields can be cleared using edit > replace field and set value to " "

Highlighted

mcdvoice wrote:
Lets try this

1. Set up a smart task trigger based on edit criteria. And let the criteria be 'Edit Date' = '1/10/2020' AND fieldthattriggers 'contains data'
2. Now use the 'Update field' task to update the value of the target field to blank.

Haven't tested it. But I hope it works.

Thank you so much for helping with this wonderful article.

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

To get Alan Smiths answer to work try turning off the only from dropdown rule on the selected Character field.