Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Task: Second step and all following do not run.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Smart Task: Second step and all following do not run.

Hello ACT! Experts.  I am using Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0 on a Win 7 system.  I am very frustrated with Smart Tasks that are set up with multiple steps but only the first step runs. I have the Smart Task set to 'manual' and each step set to 'automatically' with zero (0) time delay. When I look in the "Pending" smart tasks there is nothing listed but when I look in the 'View Status' it shows "in progress" which makes no sense because it should run all steps the way I have it set up.

Any sage ideas or thoughts here?

Thank you!!!!! 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neil_Act
‎01-06-2017 07:08 AM
Administrator

Re: Smart Task: Second step and all following do not run.

Hi Neil,

I had to refresh my knowledge of Smart Tasks for this one!

If you build your Smart Task to schedule multiple separate activities, then they will be created in order once the preceding activity has been cleared. So using your scenario as an example, the 1st activity will be created when the Smart Task runs, the 2nd activity will only be created after the 1st one has been cleared, and the 3rd will be created once the 2nd has been cleared. They are classified as a series of events, where the 2nd step cannot happen until the 1st has been completed. Just creating the activity does not count as completion, clearing the activity is the completion step.

Could you try clearing the first activity created by your Smart Task to see if the 2nd one is then created?

Activity series allows you to create all the activities at once, but these can only be timeless.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi Neil,

Could you please give us some more detail on the smart tasks that are failing to complete?

What are the first and second steps?
Do all the smart tasks that are failing have the same, or similar first and second steps?
How many steps do your smart tasks have?
When you say each step is set to 'automatically' with zero (0) time delay, do you mean that the option to complete the step without prompting the user is selected, and you have not placed a time delay step between the steps?
Copper Contributor

Hello Gary!  Thank you for your quick reply.

1. All steps are "Schedule Act! v Activity" (e.g., Meeting).  There are 3 steps in this Smart Task.

2. The first step successfully applies the calendar item for today (as per the zero days after this step is triggered listing in the task). The subsequent tasks are the same type but do not show up even though they have the same 'zero days' listed and the 'automatically schedule activity' is checked.

3. There is no time delay between the steps.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Neil

Administrator

Thanks Neil,
Some additional questions:

Has the smart task been set to 'Run only once for any record'?
What is the smart task trigger type?
Are the smart tasks being triggered automatically or are they running automatically?
Have you tried running the smart task manually from the Schedule menu?
Has the smart task ever completed successfully?
Copper Contributor

Hello Gary!

1. These smart tasks are set up to put a series of calendar items in my contact record.  I have seen no place for a 'Run only once for any record' option.  Because all steps list me (via my contact record) under the 'Schedule With' option, I would have thought that all steps would launch at the same time because it is only one record being updated.

2.The trigger type is 'Manual' because I just want to run it when I need it.

3. In regard to running it 'manually' I assume you are referring to the same thing as #2 above.  It is a manual start.

4. No it has never run successfully.  I played with this for hours last night (including time to search for answers in the KB and online).

Thank you. 

Administrator

Thanks Neil,

The 'Run only once for any record' option is only available when the smart task is set to be triggered automatically.
I'll look into why this issue could be occurring with some testing.

For the meantime, I would suggest looking into setting up an Activity Series. It sounds like what you're trying to do could also be achieved using this method. Check the following Knowledgebase article for more information: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26878
Copper Contributor

Thanks Gary!  I did look into the Activity Series but, unfortunately, the 'time' of the activity can't be set.  This is a feature I need and - if it would work (?) - the Smart Task should do ...

Your input is very much appreciated.

Neil

Administrator

Hi Neil,

I would suggest trying to recreate the smart task as a new smart task, and test to see if the issue continues with this new task.
Copper Contributor

Hello Gary.  I tried that before posting to the forum.  I initiated two new smart tasks from scratch both with the same result.

Any other thoughts?  Were you able to duplicate my steps and have it work properly on your end?

Thank you!

Solution
Accepted by topic author Neil_Act
‎01-06-2017 07:08 AM
Administrator

Hi Neil,

I had to refresh my knowledge of Smart Tasks for this one!

If you build your Smart Task to schedule multiple separate activities, then they will be created in order once the preceding activity has been cleared. So using your scenario as an example, the 1st activity will be created when the Smart Task runs, the 2nd activity will only be created after the 1st one has been cleared, and the 3rd will be created once the 2nd has been cleared. They are classified as a series of events, where the 2nd step cannot happen until the 1st has been completed. Just creating the activity does not count as completion, clearing the activity is the completion step.

Could you try clearing the first activity created by your Smart Task to see if the 2nd one is then created?

Activity series allows you to create all the activities at once, but these can only be timeless.