Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Task Issues

Smart Task Issues

Using a computer with this configuration:

Windows 7

Act! Version 17.2.217.0

I like the Smart Tasks concept, but have had repeated problems with their execution. Here is an example:

A template was set up to send an e-mail, wait 3 days, set up a salesperson phone call, wait four days, and then send an additional e-mail. Act! was open on my desktop during this entire period per the program specification for using Smart Tasks.

The initial issue was the first e-mail. Sometimes the program would send a single e-mail on time as scheduled.

On other tests of this template, it would send the initial e-mail repeatedly, despite the template specification that the initial e-mail be sent only once. When this would happen, the Act! interface would freeze (no response to clicking on fields etc.), and the only way to stop it was to open the Windows Task Manager and shut down the progam.

It once sent the initial e-mail 16 times prior to my closing down the program. Thankfully this was a test and the e-mails were coming in to my e-mail box, not a customer's.

Has anyone else had this issue? 

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Smart Task Issues

Frank7755,

Thank you for submitting your post. The issue you are having may be resolved by checking out our Knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com.

Below is a relevant knowledgebase article that may resolve your issue:

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26944

Hope this helps,

Scott Baker
Visit the knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

Scott,

Thanks for your response. That is not helpful. The knowledgebase link you posted merely outlines how to set up a Smart Task template. I'm already very familiar with that. It does not have any information about this particular problem.

Please let me know if you have any substantive information about this specific issue. Thanks.

Administrator

Hi Frank,

This seems like quite an unusual Issue. It's likely something in your environment that's causing this unexpected behaviour.
How many steps are in the smart task?
Have you tired deleting and re-creating the smart task?
Are you sending the template though outlook mail merge or Act! Emarketing?

Hello Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I'd agree with your statement that "this seems like quite an unusual issue". I've spoken to other Act! users in our market who have had similar Smart Task problems.

Here are the specific steps in one of the Smart Tasks I've been testing:

• Wait two days
  • Send E-mail #1
  • Wait 6 days
  • Schedule follow up phone call
  • Wait 3 days
  • Send e-mail #2

I'm using an Act! e-marketing template for the e-mail steps. We have deleted and re-created the tasks repeatedly - that was one of the first suggestions from Act! support. It has not solved the problem.

I'm open to ideas here. What environmental items may be causing an issue?

Administrator

[ Edited ]

The issue is definitely going to require further investigation from a technician who can go hands-on and rule out other issues. Troubleshooting over the forum would take quite a lot of time in this case.

Please give our support a call on 866 873 2006

Gary,

Thanks again for your post. I've already spent time with your support team on this issue. They have logged in and their final suggestion was to replicate the task and try it again. Which I've already done.

I should mention also some members of your support team are difficult to understand - very broken english. 

Please let me know if you have any specific suggestions on how to solve this issue. Thanks.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I'm interested in how you get on with this as it seems a non-complex task that is failing. I haven't spent a lot of time with Smart Tasks but am interested in seeing people get consistency with it. Have you the time and resources to setup Act! on another machine and see if you can reproduce the problem?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Administrator

Hi Frank,
I've reached out to you privately for further details to help get this issue investigated further.

We have Act! on several different computers in the office, and I set up a different terminal today with Swiftpage E-Marketing account.

This time, I tried a different Smart Task. It was:

Send an e-mail using a Swiftpage E-marketing template

Wait one minute

Send a second Swiftpage e-mail

Wait one minute

Send a third Swiftpage e-mail

Still have the same problem. The Smart Task will send repeated e-mails when only one is specified in the Smart Task template.

Frustrating. I'm glad we took the time to test prior to usage though. Otherwise it would be our customer receiving multiple copies of the same e-mail, which would make us look foolish.