Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Slow unclearing of activities

Slow unclearing of activities

We experience a very sluggish (un)clearing of activities in ACT!. We have ACT! Premium 2012, running on SQL 2008 (ACT Diag shows it's running on 2008 too), and unclearing activities can take up to 8 or 9 seconds per activity.

That can't be right, is it ?

What can we best do about this ?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Slow unclearing of activities

Is this a shared database? If yes, does it take this long when signed into the database directly on the server?

Have you run database maintenance (Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair)?

How many activities are on the calendar (cleared and uncleared). If there are a lot of activities, that can slow down the process.

If this database originated in a previous version of ACT! and contains a lot of cleared activities on the calendar, you can remove them by using the Tools > Database Maintenance > Remove Old Data option. Even though the item will be removed from the calendar, the history item will remain intact.

You can test the Remove Old Data effect on response by: create a copy of the database (File > Save Copy As), test response time > then remove cleared activities > retest response time. If improved, removed cleared items from the production database.

Note: Always make a backup of the database before performing major data changes (File > Backup > Database).

Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Contributor

I am also experiencing an issue with clearing Activities, with some users it can take 10-15 sec to clear or create or modify an Activity. This is happening on multiple client sites.

I have isolated this to remote users, that have remote databases. I cannot replicate on non remote users.

Sites that are experiencing this have 14.1 HF3 installed

It only seems to impact some users, I have checked and disabled many services on affected PC's and have been unable to fix it.

Sometime when I reboot the PC then open ACT! it takes 10-15 Sec to clear/change etc.

Every now and then after a reboot Activities clear in a few seconds, and this continues to be the case until I either restart ACT or restart the computer.

I have tried disabling the Antivirus / Firewall / Act Host Search / Windows Font Cache Etc. Nothing I have yet isolated resolved this issue.

Is there an issue with the 14.1 HF3 build and Activities?

Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Nickel Contributor

PS. When I monitor the computer using Performance monitor the is NO disk activity, then I clear the activity and the Hard Drive utilisation goes to 100% for 10-15 seconds then returns to next to no activity. This does appear to be ACT!/SQL that is causing the overload on the hard drive activity.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Travis,
There is no reported issue with 14.1 HF3 regarding clearing of activities. Try recreating one of the affected user's database account and see if this resolves. Also, make sure there is not a large number of old, uncleared activities, and use the data removal tool to remove old, cleared activities. The run DB maintenance from the Tools menu in ACT!.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Super Contributor

I have a client with this problem too.  They aren't willing to pay me to fix it.  I suspect that the issue is a bad .NET install.  In my client's case the user has two remotes (one desktop remote and one laptop remote for the same user) one of which exhibits the problem and the other doesn't.  On the system that takes a long time to clear activities he tells me that it takes about a minute to clear the activities.  If they end up asking me to fix it I'll post back what the solution  was.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

We are also experiencing this same issue with one of our users. What is considered "too large" from an historic activity perspective?

Any other insight on this issue?

thank you