Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Slow.... Very Slow....

Slow.... Very Slow....

I have Act 2008. XP media center edition. I have 4GB Ram, Intel T2500 @ 2.0 Ghz processor and only 2000 contacts in this DB. Scheduling activities is very slow, as is going from contact view to calendar view. Any suggestions?

Tom - ACT user since 1998

Copper Contributor

Re: Slow.... Very Slow....

Hi,

You'll want to see what other programs are running in the background.  I only have 2 gigs of ram on an older (PentII) and it runs ok- not speedy but fast enough and I have over 4, 000 contacts.  I still can't get ACT! to display any reports--any ideas? Since you own a media PC I'll go out on a limb and guess that you have downloaded thousands of media items (thousands of chances to download memory hogging spyware).  Also make sure the complimentary programs aren't running in the background.

I would try the following:

Go to START---RUN---type in: msconfig.  From there, you can click on the tab to see what programs are running and turn some off (be careful- note which ones you change in here---there is a reason it is not easily accesible...it can hurt your PC). 

Hit CTL ALT DEL (all at once) and look there as well to see what programs are running.  You can also click a tab to take a look at the CPU activity.  When ACT! is taking forever (hanging) look at the CPU activity- if it spikes, that can be very telling and help you narrow down the issue.

OTHER TIPS

Perform the database maintenence- reindex and compress (see HELP in ACT! for the procedure) Do this even if it is a new install.

Clean out all cookies and temp files in your PC (control panel- internet options)

Only have on DB open at a time

Close any unnecessary programs

Sweep your PC for spyware, addware, etc.

Make sure your anti-virus program isn't set to scan (requests or emails) everytime you send out a request- try turning it off temporarily

Defrag and "clean-up your hard drive) Start --- accessories ---  system tools --- defrag | Also see disc cleanup

If you have incorporated Outlook, that "might" be making the computer do more work---I've heard that a lot of people have had problems when running Outlook through ACT!  I like to keep my email progrma completely seperate.

Re: Slow.... Very Slow....

Exactly...I have been trying to reverse whatever we did because the Act email is making my Outlook crawl. I have tried several things that others have suggested but none have really worked. I just want to know how I can abandon the Act/Outlook deal and revert back to just  using my Outlook for emails. For example...when I hit "Send" when using my Outlook it takes 15 to 20 seconds before it leaves the screen. And sometimes it asks me if I want to save the changes I made to Act....when I click yes I then get an error of "Object not connected to server. HRESULT:OX800401FD