Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Size of Database

Size of Database

Hi all

I have recently started working with ACT in an Education environment and am concerned by the size of our Database. “ACT is an easy To Use Contact Management System For Small Businesses” Our entries are 21k Contacts and 16k Companies - Is this stretching the bounds of ACT.

Our ACT is based on a server and I use a desktop version but also have access to WebACT.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Size of Database

Hello Iainwallace,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The number of records (contacts or companies) isn't a way to determine database size.  This is because contacts with little information and no history/activities/etc.  take very little space and contacts with a lot of history/activities/etc. take up more space.

You didn't mention which version of Sage ACT! you are running, but hard limits to database sizes are dependant on the version of Microsoft SQL Server installed.  If you are using SQL Server 2005 Express, the limit is 4gb.  If using SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, the limit is 10gb.  If you are using the 'Standard' version of any SQL, there is no limit.  The limit is based on the size of the ADF file associated with the database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Size of Database

Given the right hardware and SQL edition ... and depending on the volume of notes/histories and the number of concurrent users, I've seen databases running fine with well over a million contacts