Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Single contact record synchronization with Outlook

Copper Contributor

Single contact record synchronization with Outlook

Using Act10...

When I initially loaded Act about 6 months ago I performed an intial sync with Outlook (2007).  I use Outlook as my e-mail and calendar application, and don't want to change that.  So I end up maintaining contact information in both Outlook and Act, so as people move jobs or I add people, it's double-keying.  Is there a way to select a single entry in either Act or Outlook, and have it synchronize with the other (I don't really care which way it goes), so I can change it once and have it replicated?  And how does the sync match records?  I noticed when I was setting it all up in the spring that when I resynchronized, even after checking off to not duplicate records, I ended up with duplicates.

Thanks,

Barry Chester

Re: Single contact record synchronization with Outlook

Although I can't answer your immediate question, your comments made me wildly curious as to why you would need or want to maintain TWO sets of identical contact records.  Since ACT email integrates with Outlook, and since Outlook uses ACT database for your contact records, keeps history etc...  I'm just wildly curious why you would need both?

None of my business...  but had to ask!  LOL

Wes

Copper Contributor

You ask a very good question, Wes.  The short answer is lack of familiarity with Act!.  But, I have been experimenting with it a lot over the past week and am becoming more comfortable with it.  I have noticed, for example, that with an Outlook contact, I have access to all their e-mail addresses when sending an e-mail to them (and I will continue to use Outlook for 99% of my e-mail creation), whereas the Act! address book only seems to know the main e-mail address for the contact (i.e., not the personal one).  This is useful to me since I e-mail people at different addresses depending on the context.  I also synchronize my contacts with my Blackberry, and the Intellisync synchronizer that comes with Blackberry desktop manager does not support Act!, so I'm looking at having to acquire a 49.95 (or more) piece of software to be able to sync with Act!.  I have downloaded a trial version of one and will try it out tonight.

Barry

Regarding the Blackberry, I just got a "Storm" last week - my first blackberry.  I purchased Companionlink and it moved all my act records, complete with all contact info, multiple phone numbers, addresses, and even the "notes" portion of the dbf without a problem.  Unfortunately Verizon back up assistant (which I was counting on) does NOT work with ANY PDA...  so I was dismayed as to how to get hundreds of numbers entered into the blackberry, so Companionlink brought the ACT database over, and then I manually entered about 100 personal (non act) contact files into the Blackberry.  There's also software specifically designed for ACT (which you probably are aware) that gives you full integration and syncing, however, it's priced at $199.00 A YEAR...  just too pricey for what I want to accomplish, although I'm still considering it for this reason.  When I send an email to a customer from my blackberry, I will no longer have a copy of that email in the customers ACT history file, nor a copy in my sent folder on my computer.  I'm still weighing how important an issue this could be long term.  I hate relying on "memory"...  at 53 y/old, my 'memory' just isn't what it used to be!  LOL

Also as a side note, and completely off topic, I set up a "rule" in Outlook to auto link and file into history ALL matching incoming emails to customer records, thus eliminating the need to "quick attach"...  however, the "rule" continues to cause Outlook to crash (close without warning)...  and having contacted support, was told "they have seen this same issue several times and do not have a solution"... 

I would think within time there many be a resolve to this matter.  My computer is relatively new, so one would hope that modern high speed processors would have been adequate, but apparently not.

Lastly, regarding sending emails to alternate addresses...  I'm not sure which version of Act you're using (I'm 11.0), but a history IS RECORDED when you link (and create a new email) to an alternate email address from the customer dbf record.  I also store the full email in my contact history (which is available through settings)...  In other words, if you open a new email by clicking on the alternate email address in the ACT database, it then opens an email in Outlook, and it DOES record that in history.  However, you will not find those alternate addresses displaying in the main act address book which displays in the outlook linked file.  You can only send the alternate address email by linking directly from the contact page.  IN my case, I find this preferable as I keep personal (non business) addresses in many contacts files, but only use those for non business related coorespondence, and prefer to go through the extra step, rather than risk sending something personal (or in poor taste ;<)  )  to a company email address.

Hope that helps.

Wes

Copper Contributor

Wes,

I'll reply to you off board later about the stuff not related directly to the Act!-Outlook sync.  I remembered another reason I have for keeping my contacts in Outlook:  some of them hace digital certificates needed for encrypting e-mail messages.  Ihaven't seen a place for this in Act!

Barry