Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Single User Sync and Remote Database

Bronze Contributor

Single User Sync and Remote Database

I recently obtained a new notebook, which I will use as my field system. 

I'm trying to figure out how to connect the two computers so that the remote db will sync with the base db.  I had no problem getting the sync set to the remote system, but I can't figure out how to sync back to the base system.

This might help - the base system is on my company's domain and the field system is a personal unit not provided by the company.  I tried setting up a home network, but the company has restricted that option on the firewall. 

Is there any way to sync the two systems using "sneaker net" or something like that?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Contributor

Re: Single User Sync and Remote Database

Anyone have an idea or am I missing something very baic?

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Super Contributor

How did you get the remote (RDB) over to the notebook?  Are you able to connect the notebook to the company network while in the office?  If you can connect while in the office, you should be able to get it to sync.

If you cannot connect to the office network directly, is setting up a Hamachi VPN an option?

Backend option would be: backup remote, restore on work computer, use import/export to update.  Then create a backup of the updated database and restore it on the notebook.  And repeat these steps each time you want to update them.  If using this option you wouldn't need to create it as a remote, just use a backup (since they will never actually sync).  You would also want to delete the older versions of the database as newer ones are created.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Do you need central visiblity with one main database (bosses, marketing, ect)?  If so how many users local and remote are using ACT?

ACT 2010 Core Certified
Bronze Contributor

No, I am a single user.

John Purdy
Bronze Contributor

I created the RDB on an external HDD and then copied to a flash drive.  I then moved the flash drive to the remote computer and double clicked on the RDF file.

I will give Hamachi a try as well.

Many thanks as always.

John Purdy