Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Since Microsoft update client computers cannot communicate with host

Since Microsoft update client computers cannot communicate with host

We are using a Sage Act 11 Pro in our office with a shared database.  Microsoft had an update yesterday or early this morning and now the client computers will not connect to the host.  The host's ip address changed but I do not have the pad file linked to the ip address- only to the computer's network name.  I deleted the old pad file and also the alf file and constructed new ones.  The SQL server is running.  I can access ACT fine on the host.

Any thoughts?

Nickel Contributor

Re: Since Microsoft update client computers cannot communicate with host

[ Edited ]

Has the share gone for database from ACT! do to Tools -> database maintenance and make sure there is a tick in the share database.

Can you see the shared folder on the server via the client machine?

Then I would check the firewall settings on the server, switch it off and then see if the users machines can connect.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19420

Platinum Elite Contributor

Sharing was active.  And there were no firewall issues.  

What I did was change to pad file to reflect the ip address instead of the network name and that worked.  Why I don't know.  But everything was working fine yesterday and is today as well.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

It might be the DNS causing the issue, try pinging the machine via it's name on a client machine and see what IP it is trying to ping.

If it's incorrect try flushing the dns on the machine, open a comand prompt on the machine and then enter ipconfig /flushdns then ping it again to see if it correctly resolves the correct IP.

Platinum Elite Contributor

You should set a static local IP address on the server - otherwise, depending on your network, the DNS or WINS can take a while to update if the IP changes