Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Side Act

Side Act

Hello, everyone in ACT land! Happy New Year to all.

I have been a user of ACT for many years, and one of the features I used regularly was SideAct. I don't like the task list in version 10 because it has to be related to a specific record and you can't reprioritize easily. Does anyone remember what the last version of ACT was that had SideAct? The support line tells me it was ACT 2006, but I think it was ACT 2005. My version was corrupted, and the old activation code wouldn't work on a new install. I can get 2005 and 2006 from e-bay, but the seller's don't want to research which version has SideAct.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Side Act

Neither one, the last version with SideACT! was ACT! 6. When the ACT! program was rewritten for ACT! 2005, SideACT! was not included. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Side Act

Has anyone found a simple replacement for SideACT?  Everything I have come across has all kinds of functionality that I don't need or want.  Thanks!

Is there anything someone can use that's like side act?

For a quick list to jot down things to do it couldn't be beat.

A large percent of things that float into someone's mind everyday don't really need to be done, they can be disguarded, delegated or put off to an unknown time. It's a pain to have to assign a time and date to everything that pops into your head right then and there?

Side act was great for adding to todo's as the day went on and then looking at Side act that night or the next morning to see if you really wanted to do it.

Copper Elite Contributor

You'll be happy to know that sideACT! has been added back to the mix in ACT 2012/14.  It's been renamed as Scratchpad.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450 Support 877-279-2589
Author, 13 Books on CRM Software

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Bronze Contributor

While I agree that it was nice to have a place and as Karen points out it is back in a fashion in the next release I personally prefer to schedule a to-do on my record for the following reason

a) Mark it timeless do not have to have a time

b) Schedule a date to review if still relevant

c) You can attach a file if necessary

d) Details box allows me to put in a large amount of information

e) Shortcut Ctrl+T means I can get to it anytime no need to switch applications

f) You can past in shortcut links that allow you to lauch websites if required.

Just a thought on using what is already there

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Elite Contributor

I'll admit I never used SideACT and was surprised to see its return.  However, I did have a number of clients that used it religiously.  I've been trying Scratchpad out and it's growing on me.  I keep a notepad on my desk - this might be a good replacement as I can easily reorder items, convert them to ACT or delete them. And, considering my left-handed scrawl, I can actually read them!  At the very least it saves a few more trees....

Best Regards,

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
Author, 13 Books on CRM Software
Trainer, lynda.com

Learn More: 
Buy ACT at a Discount  Read the Blog  Buy Karen's Book  Take Karen's Course

Connect On:  Facebook  LinkedIn  Twitter

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450

I relied on Side Act daily. Will those of us who spent the money to purchase Act 2010 have the ability to add this new ScratchPad at no charge? If not, it may be work looking into alternatives other than Act.

Thank you,

GHS

Nickel Elite Contributor

Scratchpad actually integrates into/with 2012, so chances are if you want the features your best option is to focus any upgrade funds into 2012 instead of an alternative. 

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

I activated "Scratchpad" and frankly was very disappointed.  It is nothing like "Side Act!" as I remember.  

PROBLEM

1) Practical Idea and Concept Building

You can't indent and form subtopicswhich would be movable as your ideas or project develops.  

TOSmiley Very HappyO's in Act aren't link to each other as they were in SIDEACT.  

TOSmiley Very HappyO's are linked to a person not a concept such SIDEACT could do

2) Project development

The old SIDEACT allowed free-form project devolpment that, once fleshed out, could THEN be converted to TOSmiley Very HappyO's and assigned to staff members.

Scratch pad is a poor subsitute for Side Act... Sorry

214-525-7032

CBS Radio/KLUV Radio