Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Should I upgrade to 11.1

Copper Contributor

Should I upgrade to 11.1

I'm a longtime ACT user and I'm currently running 9.01 on an XP SP3 machine with 2 Gig of memory and office 2003. I'm on top of all the windows updates.

I recently received a tempting invitation to upgrade to 2009 from Sage.

I'm not happy with 9.01 (but it works even if slow and somewhat lame) and I haven't been happy with Act since the last good edition back in 05? Version 6 I believe? I really miss the functionality and speed of that version. I run a large task list with about 850 contacts, nothing fancy.

Back in the good old days task list had drag and drop functionality which was really a breeze when it came to rescheduling. V 9 allows this in Calendar but it's slow, more complicated and very clunky by comparison, now. 

I lived through the nightmare of V 7  and V8 so now I'm really, truly gunshy of doing an upgrade, I have very little faith in today's software "improved updates and versions" I'm basically a one man band and Act upgrades have almost put me out of business on more then one occasion. 

I'd like to upgrade but I'm in an intense busy season right at the moment and I can't afford crashes and downtime upgrading to an "improved version". I've been fooled once before and can live with and make do with V9.

I value the opinions of you guys on the board. Should I wait for a latter version and/or a slowdown in my business or is it relatively "safe" to upgrade to V11?

Any pro's and con's are appreciated, also is it wise to go with a disk upgrade or do I dare do an online download? 

Copper Contributor

Re: Should I upgrade to 11.1

Hi Jack,

It sounds like you and I have followed the same path.  I've used Act since DOS.  I, too, loved 6.0 and upgraded to 8.0 with disastrous results--I returned the product and went back to 6.  I gave 9.0 a try and felt about the same way as you do now--I used it for a couple of years.  I recently upgraded to 11.1 and feel that it is a little faster and the integration with Outlook is better.  I installed a download with good results and my database transfer was successful.  My constant complaint with Act is their Customer Service.  Support is painful.  I use the program on a desktop, a laptop and a netbook.  During my 30 day warranty, I had a problem with Customer support when I was trying to install on my netbook.  Customer support was so unhelpful that it prompted me to send a letter to the CEO stating that I was finally going to leave Act and find another CRM.  This, of course, created a great response and I was treated quite well.  It should not have come down to this, but it did.  My issues were resolved and the program has been stable.   

There is a rumor that Act is developing a "lite" version of Act--more like 6.0.  I don't know when this will occur but I think I may prefer it to the new, more cumbersome Act  we have now.  I'm in sales and I like the history of emails, calls, etc to which I can refer.  Good luck in making your decision.

Sue

I' m running ACT 2009 (11) and am reasonably satisfied.  I'm considering a netbook and am wondering if anyone is running on one and with what kind of results.  I'm thinking about the Toshiba Netbook, 1.6 MHz, 2 MB of RAM.  Thanks.

Copper Contributor

Hi Jacamino,

I have a typical Dell laptop that is heavy and pain to carry around.  I ride a motorcycle and was going on a cross country trip and really wanted to take a computer with me.  However, the laptop would not work.  I saw some people in a hotel lobby with a small, compact computer surfing the web.  I engaged them and was blown away by the greatest computer I had ever seen--an Acer Aspire One.  I ran out immediately and purchased it and have not regretted one day.  This computer is awesome with 120GB hard Drive,  2 GB RAM, Microsoft XP, wireless, video camera--it has it all.  The price I paid back in September was $299--now I have seen them as low as $199 with a subscription to AT&T.  The downside is that it does not have a CD/DVD drive so it is a challenge to download applications from CD's.  I countered that problem by networking my CD drive on my desktop to the Acer and downloaded my applications.  I never use my laptop--I carry the Acer in my briefcase and transfer my data as needed.  I can't say enough about it.  It has been stable and has served me well.  I will caution you that I found two versions of this computer--one with Microsoft XP and one with Linux OS.  I suggest you get the Microsoft version.  

By the way, I have my ACT set up as a remote database on my Acer and it works fine.  I hope this information helps.  Good luck.

Sue

Sue,

Thanks for the feed back.  Do you think that, if I were to run ACT on the ACER AND have the database on the Acer, that it would perform satisfactorily.  BTW, I use Office 2007 (and interface that with ACT), any performance thoughts on that?

Thanks so much for your help.

Copper Contributor

Act performs perfectly on my Acer.  I use Office 2007 as well and Act interfaces with my Outlook perfectly..  If the Acer is your only computer, I will caution you that the screen and the keyboard are small.  I suggest that you go into a store like Best Buy to test the visibility on the screen and the keyboard for typing before purchasing a netbook.  If you do alot of typing, it could be a pain.  While I love my Acer when I'm out--I do most of my work at a desktop in my home office.  Hope this helps.

Sue

Thanks Sue.

I have an Acer Aspire with the Atom 1.6 chipset.

I had used ACT 3.0 and upgraded to ACT 2009 and the performance on the Netbook sucks. Really slow to boot, nearly halts anything else from running.

I've checked on upgrading the 1 gig RAM to 1.5 gig (max on this netbook) but the hardware shop advisesthat the ATOMprocessor is not up to handling the SQL Server database used in ACT 2009 and later. I read some of the tech articles on this chipset and found that it's really lacking in number crunching capability