Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing same Layout templates, documents, etc between databases - Act! 2007

Sharing same Layout templates, documents, etc between databases - Act! 2007

After fighting for days to get Act 2007 properly installed(Major issues with the SQL Server links - The SQL server files on the install disk do not even work with Act Standard(which I later found out)-what a joke), I finally got Act running, created a custom layout that took quite awhile, only to watch the layout change everytime I reopened Act(Later found out about the Windows font glitch in the program that causes this).  Hopefully I will have smooth sailing from this point onward.

Now to my question - Our company maintains several separate databases which all have exactly the same fields, and can use the same layouts, documents etc, but from what I can see, Act creates a separate subfolder for each database which contains the layouts, document templates etc for that particular database(So I basically have 3 versions of the same files).  I need to have one set of these(otherwise I will be tripling my work everytime I make a change to something such, as a layout(Or I will be copying files all over the place).  i did not see an option in Act where I can define a default folder to contain these support files.  Is this possible?  Or is the only way to do this is by having one database and just making the separate databases, different groups within one database.

Thanks for your help

Michael

Bronze Contributor

Re: Sharing same Layout templates, documents, etc between databases - Act! 2007

Michael,

I version 6 and previous versions you could specify a specific layout folder that was unique to the machine and this caused many issues. since version 7 the layouts have been embedded with the database and so you might find it best now to combine into a single database and seperate via a field, groups or if you have premium use the teams capability.

This would then mean you only have to update in one place or else yes you would need to copy the layout to each of the layout folders for each database.

Given that the latest versions of ACT can be much bigger than previous versions I think this is the easiest method.

Best of luck

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Re: Sharing same Layout templates, documents, etc between databases - Act! 2007

Thanks for confirming this.  After some thought, I decided to just combine all the databases into one and seprate via Groups, so now I only have one folder of layouts to deal with.

Thanks anyways,

mh