Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing records with other ACT users

Sharing records with other ACT users

There are two others on my network running ACT 2009, as I am. I want to be able to send one record to another user over the network.

When I was still using ACT 6.0, I would Data Exchange to accomplish this. If I were using Outlook to manage contacts, I'd just e-mail a .VCF with all the contact's info.

What's the procedure in ACT 2009?

Joe Parsons

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing records with other ACT users

Hi Joe,

Do not "send" your contact to your colleagues. If you do, they will have one new contact each.

Public contacts can be seen by others in a network. They will be able to contribute with history, etc but one will be the record manager.

When scheduling an activity for those records to them use "schedule to" at bottom of new activity window.

I hope this helps.

Mac, Jorge A. Mac Genity
Using ACT! by Sage 2013 Pro Version 15.1.108.0, on Windows 7
Intel Core I7-2600 CPU @ 3,40 GHz
12,0 GB - 64 bits - NVidia GForce GTX 360 SE

I am trying to create a new record in my collegue's database. I am looking for the equivalent of sending a .VCF to someoe from Outlook.

In Act 6, we simply exported a contact record directly into another databasae on the network. (Yeah, I know this isn't Act 6...dang it).

Joe Parsons

Nickel Elite Contributor

Joe, I sent you a private message - check the envelope icon along the top-right-ish of the screen
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Why not set them up to share the database on the LAN or to Sync?

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/02/sharing-act-network-or-sync.html

Or is there a reason you don't want them connected?

Another option is that ACT! 2010 has added iCal to send receive contacts via email

GLComputing wrote:

Why not set them up to share the database on the LAN or to Sync?

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/02/sharing-act-network-or-sync.html

Or is there a reason you don't want them connected?

Another option is that ACT! 2010 has added iCal to send receive contacts via email

I don't want everyone on a common dabase. Each user has his or her own list of contacts, and only some of them need to be shared.

With respect to ACT 2010, I just "upgraded" to ACT 2009 from 6.0.3. I did that only because I had migrated to Vista and Office 2007. The difference in performance is dramatic--and not in a good way. I'm not willing to spend more money on a program with a poor track record, just to regain functionality that should never have been removed in the first place.

I was a beta site for ACT 2005 (7.0), when the program was first being rewritten to the .NET platform. I was disappointed in the performance back then, as well as the removal of some key features I had come to depend on (like bidirectional synching with a handheld device). I installed the release version that I had been given at no charge, but quickly uninstalled it because of the performance issues.

Today I am using a computer quite a bit more capable, but I am still frustrated by the lack of essential features and sluggish performance.

I really have to wonder whether Sage even listens to its users. They make high-minded claims like,

"Innovation: We are always thinking about how we can improve the customer experience," and

"People in business never seem to have enough time. When customers need our services we have to be ready and responsive, anticipating and interpreting their needs. We’ve all experienced slow, unresponsive customer service and the frustration that it creates. Likewise, a customer experience can be ruined by an inappropriate solution that’s not clearly thought through in a timely fashion. Through agility, we set ourselves apart, both as a company to do business with and as a place in which to work."

I sometimes wonder whether their management is reading their own blurbs. With a claimed user base of 2.7 million individual users and 41,000 corporate, I am puzzled why Sage would be so unresponsive to issues that clearly put their relationship with that user base at risk. Even Pat Sullivan, the original creator of ACT, has said that it is "a complete disaster." He stopped using the program a year ago.

I really hope Sage can get its act together (sorry...unintentional pun) and fix this thing. I am already looking for alternative solutions for myself and my company.

Joe Parsons

A couple of points:

• You can share the database and mark the records as private (and even make this the default for new records) - then you can share the database and still have the users only able to see their own. With the Premium versions, you can also use Limited access to have records shared with some and not available to others.
  • Another option for you might be to export to Excel or CSV?
  • Re: ACT! 2005 - there were performance issues, mainly due to issues with .Net 1.1
  • Re the current versions of ACT!, performance shouldn't be an issues if you have reasonable hardware. Especially min of 1GB RAM for XP (2GB for Vista) and a 7200rpm hard drive or better. In fact, given the right hardware and a clean Windows OS, it can be faster than 6.0

GLComputing wrote:

A couple of points:

• You can share the database and mark the records as private (and even make this the default for new records) - then you can share the database and still have the users only able to see their own. With the Premium versions, you can also use Limited access to have records shared with some and not available to others.
  • Another option for you might be to export to Excel or CSV?
  • Re: ACT! 2005 - there were performance issues, mainly due to issues with .Net 1.1
  • Re the current versions of ACT!, performance shouldn't be an issues if you have reasonable hardware. Especially min of 1GB RAM for XP (2GB for Vista) and a 7200rpm hard drive or better. In fact, given the right hardware and a clean Windows OS, it can be faster than 6.0

The problem with this is that some of the users spend time off-site, so they need to carry their contact database with them.

With regard to exporting to a CSV, I'd do that in a pinch if it weren't so cumbersome. Exporting the current record to a .CSV file took me 11 separate steps. I'm guessing importing that record would be about the same.

ACT 2005 performance: Yeah, definite issues! I am puzzled why Sage would release that software in the first place, given the huge difference in performance compared to 6.0.3. They also shipped the software missing what I'm sure was a critical feature for many: the ability to sync bidirectionally with a PDA.

Hardware: I am running this application on a year-old Toshiba laptop with a stable Vista installation, 4 GB of ram and a 1.8 gHz dual processor. The HDs are running at 5400, not 7200. Yes, faster drives would help the performance, but I really wonder why a basically simple database application managing in my case fewer than 2,000 records should make such demands on the hardware.

I understand that Sage seems to be concentrating more on the enterprise market than on the individual and small business user, but it seems to me that a user base approaching 3 million individuals is worth nurturing.

And I would be very, very surprised if there were any way to make this version the equal of 6.0.3 in performance.

Thanks for the response.

Joe Parsons

You can use Sync to allow off-site use.

Re the export... from the Contact List, Export to Excel is pretty quick

Re ACT! 2005... Like a lot of vendors, they believed Microsoft's pitch about the improved environment. After spending so long in dev, they had to release something and hoped MS would fix the issues (didn't happen till after .Net 2.0). Hindsight is always better.

As to the drive speed, this is an issue with SQL, which is necessary for many of the improved functionality and scalability

On larger databases, or even when filtering History/Notes/Email is smaller ones, ACT! 6.0 would become very sluggish.... the SQL versions don't have that issue

GLComputing wrote:

You can use Sync to allow off-site use.

Re the export... from the Contact List, Export to Excel is pretty quick

Re ACT! 2005... Like a lot of vendors, they believed Microsoft's pitch about the improved environment. After spending so long in dev, they had to release something and hoped MS would fix the issues (didn't happen till after .Net 2.0). Hindsight is always better.

As to the drive speed, this is an issue with SQL, which is necessary for many of the improved functionality and scalability

On larger databases, or even when filtering History/Notes/Email is smaller ones, ACT! 6.0 would become very sluggish.... the SQL versions don't have that issue

I revisited the import and export functions. It would not be a big deal if occasionally exporting some quantity of records, but for transferring just one, it is unworkable. Importing (even with a predefined Map) is equally cumbersome and time consuming--therefore impractical.

About Sage believing the MS pitch: why did they not do benchmark testing before committing to this platform at that time?

About 6.0 vs. SQL versions: of the 2.7 million individual (as opposed to enterprise) users, I wonder what how many records are typical. In my busy mortgage practice, I have about 1,600 records. I tested Outlook Business Contact Manager and found its performance to be acceptable, but having to switch screens between the Outlook mail client and BCM slows my workflow significantly.

Someone here suggested an application that will allow me to save a contact as a vCard to e-mail to another user. That's what I've been looking for, but the larger issue for me (and why I've been spending this much time on it) is that Sage seems to be unresponsive to a very large segment of their user base, the small business and individual users. They have removed features that I think are essential (like sharing individual records) and reduced the performance of the program. Requiring hundreds of dollars in hardware upgrades and many hours to make a fairly simple program perform as advertised seems frankly ludicrous.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe Parsons