Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing one database between two computers

Sharing one database between two computers

Hello,

I have one database I'm trying to share between my office computer and my home office computer. I would like to access the same database from both locations. I login to the office server using remote desktop from home.

Since my act software at home can't load directly from the server, here's what i thought would work to share the database:

- Load the database at home, make changes, save the database to the local hard drive

- Copy the database from the local hard drive to the server

- Copy the database from the server to my office hard drive

- Load the database on the office computer, make changes, save the database to the local hard drive

- Copy the database to the server

- Etc

The problem I'm having is that changes made on the other computer aren't showing up when I load the copied database. For instance, the database has 250 contacts. I load it at home and add 10 more. When I get to work and load the copy off the server, it only has 250 contacts. Then I add 30 while at work and when I get back home the database only has 260. I can't get any changes to be recognized on the other computer.

Any suggestions how to fix this or even a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Is there a cached version of the database somewhere that I need to clear before I load the copy from the server or is there a special way I need to save the database each time?

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing one database between two computers

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Sharing one database between two computers

You cannot copy a database to different locations and then have them sync.

That was possible (although not happy) back in the pre-Act! 2005 days, but no more.

And, that is a good thing.

Much harder to do sync wrong now - it either syncs or it doesn't - instead of allowing you to sync WRONGLY screwing things up while thinking you are good.

Check out Mike's post and/or search Help.act.com