Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing databases greyed out / Administrator access to network server

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Sharing databases greyed out / Administrator access to network server

Hi

I'm running ACT! 2010 Standard on two PCs and 1 server with the idea that the two PCs will share the database file on the server. I don't have Administrator access on the server but do have standard login access to it and have created the database file on the server. The Share Database option is greyed out in the Tools -> Database Maintenance menu and the tickbox was also unavailable when the database was first created.

I understand from forum posts that I've read that read about this problem that I probably have to be an Administrator on the server to enable sharing but as that can be a little tricky in my organisation I wanted to find out whether I need to always be administrator any time I want to modify the database on the server or whether I can get one of our administrators to login to the server and enable sharing for me to fix the enable sharing problem?

I'm accessing the server via Remote Desktop (Windows Server 2003)

The other options in the menu ( Delete Database, Remove Old Data, Lock/Unlock Database, etc) are available.

I have tried playing with the Demo database that comes with ACT but can't share that one either

Both serial numbers have been registered on the server.

thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Synamin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Sharing databases greyed out / Administrator access to network server

Just to follow up on my own topic (just in case anyone else has this problem)

My network administrator was able to log in, click the Tools -> Database Managment -> Share Database option then logout and it's successfully shared between the two users and I am able to modify and setup the database as normal.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

Re: Sharing databases grayed out / Administrator access to network server

I would certainly pursue the administrative rights.

Take a look at the following KB Article          "Share Database" or "Create Remote Database" Option Grayed Out.

See if you can open the ACT demo database on the server and share that out.  IF so, and you have Admin rights, we have been successful with Saving the Database as a copy.  (File, Save Copy As.)

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks Jon

As I mentioned above, I did try sharing the Demo database with no success (still greyed out). 

What I would like to find out is whether I need to always be administrator any time I want to modify the database on the server or whether I can get one of our administrators to login to the server and enable sharing for me to fix the enable sharing problem?

Do you know?

thanks!

Solution
Accepted by topic author Synamin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Just to follow up on my own topic (just in case anyone else has this problem)

My network administrator was able to log in, click the Tools -> Database Managment -> Share Database option then logout and it's successfully shared between the two users and I am able to modify and setup the database as normal.

Silver Contributor

A little late on my reply I see, but just to answer your question. Once an administrator or your machine (network) sets up sharing, you should be able to switch back to using the database with your given set of network permissions without issue.  You will need full access to the ACT database folder and files.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider