Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing database on small network

Copper Contributor

Sharing database on small network

[ Edited ]

I have a very small WinXp network and up till now I have been the only ACT user.  It resides on my workstation.  We do have a server, but it's just a stand alone WinXp workstatiion.  I would like to have another co-worker share the public profiles in my ACT database.   After I install a licensed copy of ACT on their workstation, what would be the best way to do this?  Can that ACT user use and update my data files?  If so, would that slow down my workstation?  Or should I consider exporting profiles to their new database and using sync? 

I'm using ACT 2009.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Sharing database on small network

Given some of the issues with synch in 2009 if you go to Tools menu, Database Maintenance and share database then the other machine should be able to update the database in real time.

This is not to say you will not also encounter issues if the share does not work immediately with possible blocking from Firewall, antivirus software althouhg there are articles in the KB to address these unless you want a consultant to log in remotely and resolve for you.

Send me an offline if you require further assistance

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Platinum Elite Contributor

The details on sharing the database is in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1387...

As to if it will slow you down, that will depend on how much RAM you have, how fast your hard drive is and how much work they do

Copper Contributor

I have installed ACT2009 on a second workstation and all has gone well and am able to see my database from the second pc.  The only problem is that I get this error message:  The database you are attempting to open must be updated to a newer version.  You do not have permission to update the database.

Both of these act versions are the same 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0 Hotfix 4.    The only difference is that one is ACT and the other is ACT Premium.

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor