Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing and Syncrhonization

Tuned Listener

Sharing and Syncrhonization

If I enable sharing on database, this is real time, I also want to create remote users & sync them...as long as I enabled sharing will synching be real time.  Just confused if I should do one or the other, need to make sure that doing in real time.  However, we are at diff locations.  Myself at one, the other use at another and the host (motherbase/server) still at another.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing and Syncrhonization

Sync isn't real time ... the remote initiates a sync (can be on a schedule) and updates both copies with the changes
Tuned Listener

Therefore, if we are logging onto a server from 2 seperate workstations and 2 locations can we share database, however, if there are changes to  contacts, etc. I am assuming that that is where synchronizing comes into play.  And if so, how often can we set up synchronizing, by minutes, hour or day? and can we do automatically?

There are two ways as per these ACT! Knowledge Base articles -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15264

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19216

I prefer the 2nd as the scheduler runs as a service

You don't want it too often as it might slow the machines (depending on their specs and the internet bandwidth) ...

Tuned Listener

Thank you soo much!  So we will set this up on both remote databases, how about the host computer/server?  However, if we just share the database in real time, and set up as remote users as admin or manager will changes to profiles show up, e.g contacts---notes-activities?

Sharing with remotes has other considerations ... performance and reliability of the internet connections becomes a factor unless you have a real server and reliable connections.

If you really need it live and don't have the infrastructure, you might consider having it hosted.

Here are some options:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html
Tuned Listener

I guess, it would of been helpful to indicate that we will be hosted!  So, if hosted and reliable server then we share databases, any add/changes if we have admin or manger roles as remote users will be visible on all ends?  BTW, thanks so much for your prompt responses!

If hosting, you'd probably use Remote Desktop or Web (if you didn't want to sync)
Tuned Listener

I guess, I'm a little confused do we NEED the option of syncing if we are working of a server, those changes with a shared database that I was talking about made on the remotes, will the be automatically made on the main database or do we have to sync with all users to see all changes etc.

These are questions you might want to take up with the hosting provider ... sync'ing to a local copy can run faster (depending on your local hardware) and you don't lose access if your internet is down.