Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing Databases

Sharing Databases

Hi-

I'm completely lost.  I am moving our main data base via CD to another computer in our office for sharing.  When i follow the user guide instructions to a "T" i receive the following error. "The database could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server".  I'm trying to unpack it however nothing is working!  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Christy
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Sharing Databases

Christy,
Some details will help, what version of ACT are you using? Did you create a back up of the main database? What method are you using to restore it to a new computer?
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

I'm using the new 2008 10.0.  I have created a backup and copied it to a CD to download it on to the other computer.  Just like the user guide states too. 
Nickel Elite Contributor

How did you create the backup? Did you use File | Backup in ACT! 2008? How did you restore it on the other computer? Did you use File | Restore | Database | Restore As  in the ACT! program?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Maybe i did it wrong.  I'm not IT and we don't have IT here!  :-)  How should i have created the back up?

Thank you
Copper Contributor

File > Backup > Database...

Then use the File > Restore > Database > Restore As

I have done that.  Should it be in a .zip file? 

I'm sorry i sound like a total ding dong.  I'm pretty computer savvy however this has thrown me off.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  We just do not want to pay the 200 bucks for the service support.  (why should you even have to pay for something like SERVICE anyway?!!) Smiley Indifferent

Nickel Elite Contributor

ChristyLGB wrote:
I have done that.  Should it be in a .zip file? 

Yes the backup file will be a ZIP file and that is what you would be restoring. The original error you listed sounds like an error you might get after a successful Restore As. Possible causes would be an earlier version of ACT! on the target computer or problems with the ACT! install on that computer. Do you get the error when you try to restore or does the restore complete and then you get the error when you try to open the database?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

when i restore only.  I will try it the other way, and let you know.  Thanks.