Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing Database

Sharing Database

Hello,

Our ACT database was previously accessed through a server by three separate computers.  We no longer have the server, so I backed up the database on each computer, so we are all able to access ACT.  However, I am not sure how to sync the databases so when one of us updates something in ACT, it will show up on each computer.  I have tried sharing the database and using the sync tools, but I still can't quite get it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Sharing Database

Well, you have a couple of things to consider:

1) If you restored the files and they have been edited/updated, you are going to need to merge them together so as to maintain all of the latest info.

2)  Sync is a publisher/subscriber model.  In other words - you can't set up a bunch of databases to sync with each other, rather, all "remotes" have to sync to the "host" database.

Here is the KB article on how to correctly set up sync:  http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28021/

Here is another on merging databases:  http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22042/

Hope that helps get you rolling!

Re: Sharing Database

Thank you very much for your reply. 

I did restore the files separately on each computer.  Since then, we each have made changes and updates (that do not reflect on the other computers).  So, I will try using the instructions to merge. 

At that point, would I set up the sync you mentioned below?  It makes sense to me that all "remotes" have to sync with the "host" database, but I'm not sure if what I have done allows that.  I am wondering if I need to start over.  At this point, we each have the same database on our computers (backed up from the main server we used to have).  I don't know which one would serve as the host and which one as the remotes.