Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing Database

Copper Contributor

Sharing Database

2 pc's in this office - we are in a 'network domain' and we followed the instructions for that setup as pulled from ACT! Help 'Sharing databases'. We want info input on either computer viewable by the other, immediately. As the office administrator, all data is on my pc and I followed instructions obtained from Help/sharing databases and made sure system showed me as having administrative rights.  It did not work  - 'receiving' pc had received, but 'data' was empty on the receiving end.  PAD file did not transfer.

Stumbled across another item which said 'you may email these links to notify people that you have shared these files, or copy the links onto the windows clipboard...' etc.  At that point I clicked on 'email' and sent to the intended recipient/pc. They got the email, hooked up to the link, but it too, was empty of the data.

Help!  shouldn't this be easier than Synchronization? Or tell me if we must Synchro in order to have both of us have the ability to input and see eachother's data immediately on the shared files?

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing Database

Two PCs and you have a domain? That's pretty unusual (although I have 3 on a domain at home). If running a domain, you'd have a proper server... why are you putting all the data on your PC instead of the server?

If not running a domain contoller, then you have a "workgroup" network and you put the database on one PC (usually the fastest) and share it for the other user.

You didn't say what version of ACT!, but assuming it's current... try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4cbegc

Copper Contributor

Re: Sharing Database

Turns out it's NOT domain, after all. We have ACT! 10.0 Standard (not Premium...some options do differ between the two) version 10.0.2.191 and our 2 are the same / using Windows Vista.  

Went to 'tinyurl' you suggested & printed instructions to 'Share ACT by Sage Database over a Network'. Instructions DO NOT mention "Vista" as one of the usable operating systems listed after the ACT! version issue. Is this a problem, or is Vista too new to be mentioned here and really OK?

Part of the instructions advise accessing 'Knowledge Base documents' to make sure 'all workstations have full read/write access to the Database folder and the Supplemental File Folders'; please advise how to even find the Knowledge Base Documents so I can review the Titles and ID #'s suggested to make sure both of us have that full access.

Thank you