Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing ACT! 2008 Databases

Sharing ACT! 2008 Databases

Our office network uses a shared PC hard drive. The way we use ACT! now is that we have the database on this shared hard drive and each user can access it and edit it. I am testing ACT! 2008 and would like to do the same thing, but whenever I copy the database files to the shared PC and try to open it from my computer, it says "could not find a database called DATABASENAME on host HOSTNAME."

Any suggestions? Do I have to install ACT! on the shared PC? No one uses this computer and I would have to buy a license for that.

Thanks.
Copper Contributor

Re: Sharing ACT! 2008 Databases

If you are trying to open the PAD file that was created on your local machine, it is not going to know how to find your database.  Find the .PAD file that was created on your machine before you moved it and rename it .PAD.OLD and then Open the .ADF file from ACT! 2008.  This will create a new PAD file with all the information for the new location of your database.

It won't let me open the ADF file that is on the shared drive. It says, "ADF Files must be on a local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used."

Nickel Super Contributor

You do need to have ACT installed on the machine hosting the database.

You can go ahead and install ACT on the second machine as long as it will basically be acting as a server and noone will be physically using the machine, requiring a second username in the ACT database.

Once you have installed ACT on the host machine, open the database then attempt to share it and open it from your machine.

so does this mean that we would have to purchase an additional license even though the program or database will not be used by anyone?

I am certainly not a network / IT expert, but our office was set up in that each employee had the program installed on their computer.  From that computer, we all had access to the database, which was stored on our local shared server. 

I testing, I tried to install on my PC, then create an upgraded copy of our ACT2003 database on the same network drive, for all to share.  My assistant is not able to access the database, because it cannot be found.

Please help.  We like the functionality, but are very frustrated that what should be seemingly simple, is so complex.

Thanks.
Nickel Super Contributor

You do not need to purchase another license to have it sitting on that machine since no one is using it. For ACT, you need a license for each unique username you have in your database. Since you will be installing on basically a dormant host machine, you can share the license between that machine and yours.

Ok, I have installed a trial version of ACT! 2008 on the shared PC's hard drive. When I try to convert an old ACT! database into a 2008 one. I specifiy to save it in a directory different than the MyDocuments\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\ directory. When I do this, it says "The SQL Database Instance is unavailable."

Any thoughts on this issue?
Nickel Super Contributor

Verify that the ACT7 instance is started.

Go to Start/Run and type in services.msc
Once in the services window, find SQL Server (ACT7) and verify that it exists and it is started.

Ok, I followed the uninstall instructions found here and then reinstalled ACT! and was able to convert the old database and store it in the shared directory on the shared PC's hard drive.

I then followed the instructions for sharing a database over a network that are found here.

Unfortunately,  I did have the "Could not access the specified database" error noted at the end of those instructions. I disabled the firewall on both the shared PC and my workstation and was able to access it. Both computers have "ACT by Sage" as exceptions in the fire wall.

Obviously I cannot disable the firewall as a solution, so I read here and enabled sqlservr.exe on both computers, but I cannot access the database.

Nickel Super Contributor

You'll need to add a few more exceptions to the firewall.

I would recommend sqlsrver.exe, sqlbrowser.exe as well as, some sql ports. The ports I would recommend are the default TCP port of 1433, the default UDP port of 1434 and the last port you will find in the ACTDiag and is machine specific. So on the host machine, go to Start/Run and type in ACTDiag. Once in the Diag Utility go to Server Security tab and note the TCP/IP port and add that as your last exclusion.