Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sharing ACT 10 database across a network

Avid Listener

Sharing ACT 10 database across a network

My assistant and I each have a licensed copy of ACT 10 installed on the C:\ drive of our PCs. We are two users on a multi-hundred PC network in a university, and we are the only two ACT users (that we know of). Our university does not allow one user to access another's local drives.

My assistant and I share files seamlessly for Word, Excel, etc. by placing them on the shared F:\ drive, which physically resides on the university's servers somewhere. We are frequently making changes to our ACT records, and what I would like to do is to enable both my assistant and me to edit the same database file without sync'ing back and forth via sync sets, RDBs, etc.

Because we are not allowed to access another user's C:\ drive, I do not believe this can be done in ACT. Am I wrong?

Re: Sharing ACT 10 database across a network

That's how we have it set up in our office.  The database is on a shared P:\ drive that's on a separate computer.  We only have 5 users and 6 computers though on a local area network.

In your case you would need to install ACT onto the shared F:\ drive, and then locate the database there.  Then you'd set up both your versions of ACT to access the database on the F:\ drive.
Avid Listener

Thanks, Denetti. Is that shared P:\ drive a local drive for the "separate computer"?

I probably didn't make my situation clear. We don't have a separate computer on which to install ACT. There is a mini-computer server somewhere with some massive hard drives, one or a portion of which is configured to allow me access as my network F:\ drive. I'm getting out of my depth here, but there is no \windows directory on the F:\ drive, so the registry entries for an installation of ACT on the F:\ drive will all be made on my c:\ drive. I had thought, perhaps wrongly, that ACT wouldn't allow that type of installation -- i.e., that ACT requires that in at least one instance of the installation, the database files and the ACT executable had to be on one computer; once that was set up, other computers on the network that could access the "host" computer's drives could also access the ACT database files. Does this make sense?
Nickel Elite Contributor

The ACT! database must reside on a local drive. For it to reside on a separate server, ACT! would need to be installed there along with the .NET Framework and the MSSQL server. From you description, that won't be possible in your case. Also from your description, I don't think you can set up synchronization through your local area network. Do you know if you can install a program like Go To My PC on your system and then connect to that computer from your home system? If so, there may be a way to setup synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Avid Listener

Alas, we may not install GoToMyPC or similar programs. I guess I'm stuck, then.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Another option might be to use one of the ACT! hosting companies host your database on their site and both users can sync with it.