Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Shared Database problems

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Shared Database problems

Client Act computer is now having problems accessing database.

I just moved my office and hooked everything up just as it was in the old office.

Now my client computer gets the error "Unable to access DATABASE, check connections, blah blah".

I can see the server perfectly through the network.

Spent several hours on phone with tech support and they changed the PAD file on client to show  IP and SQL number of the host which worked for  a few days.  They also made a bunch of other SQL changes which did nothing except make me nervous. 

Now it stopped accessing the databse again.

In all the years I've never had problems accessing any act DB across a network.

Why now?  Killing me.

Phoenix, AZ
4 user Act 2011HF5
W7 (32&64) on a W7-64 "Server"
Outlook 2003 and 2007

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Shared Database problems

Got it squared away (I did).

But I must say the tech support people were very helpful and tried everything.

By rights it should have worked with the IP address and the SQL number and all the exceptions and permissions triple checked and corrected.

In the end I moved my router to a different computer, moved some network connections around and reestablished connectivity and it all started working like magic.  I did put the Computer Name back int he PAD file in lieu of the IP (and SQL #).

No doubt I contributed to the problem.  I just switched to Qwest from Cox and I think the router and modem were fighting each other.

Tj

Phoenix, AZ
4 user Act 2011HF5
Outlook 2003 and 2007

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

Did Tech Support change any firewall exclusions?

I usually make sure ActSage.exe, sqlservr.exe and sqlbrowser.exe are excluded (I make it on both server and local machines)

Be sure the user has full control over the database folder.

Also - verify that the database on the server is still shared (there was some instances in previous versions, that after a backup was done, it wouldn't be shared anymore).

Just a few thoughts.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Platinum Super Contributor

You'll also want to make sure the host machine's IP address has remained the same.  You can open the PAD file with Notepad and compare it to the IP of the server.  If they are different, update the PAD file.

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Got it squared away (I did).

But I must say the tech support people were very helpful and tried everything.

By rights it should have worked with the IP address and the SQL number and all the exceptions and permissions triple checked and corrected.

In the end I moved my router to a different computer, moved some network connections around and reestablished connectivity and it all started working like magic.  I did put the Computer Name back int he PAD file in lieu of the IP (and SQL #).

No doubt I contributed to the problem.  I just switched to Qwest from Cox and I think the router and modem were fighting each other.

Tj

Phoenix, AZ
4 user Act 2011HF5
Outlook 2003 and 2007