Do you mean 

Share database structure

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Share database structure

Hi,

I have ACT 2010 Ver. 12.1.181 and a colleage has 2010 Ver 12.0.409.0

I've customized my fields to fit my needs then helped him do the same to his via remote access to his computer.

Now, I'm making a few changes here and there, adding a few more fields, updating some drop downs, etc.

We both maintain our own seperate data and don't want to combine our contacts. But I'd like an easy way to send him the updates I make to the fields and layout structure. Is there an easy way to do this without us having to combine all our contacts?

Thanks,

Dan

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dbish
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Share database structure

There isn't a automated way to get just your new fields and layouts to the other person, but you can create an Empty Copy of your database and give it to them.  They would then have to do an import of their original database into the Empty Copy you give them.  You would have repeat this process each time you make updates to your database's field/layout.

If your colleage has their own custom fields that are not contained in your database, this process will not work because your Empty Copy will not contain their fields. 

Also, to share a database or use the Empty Copy option - you will have to get the other installation of Act! up to the same build as yours (12.1)

How to create an Empty Copy

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Super Contributor

Dan - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but rather than leave you hanging...

You can't do it with separate databases - you'd have to share a database.  You could share a DB and use features of the Premium version of ACT! to set who has access to what, but it's probably not ideal.

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Solution
Accepted by topic author dbish
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

There isn't a automated way to get just your new fields and layouts to the other person, but you can create an Empty Copy of your database and give it to them.  They would then have to do an import of their original database into the Empty Copy you give them.  You would have repeat this process each time you make updates to your database's field/layout.

If your colleage has their own custom fields that are not contained in your database, this process will not work because your Empty Copy will not contain their fields. 

Also, to share a database or use the Empty Copy option - you will have to get the other installation of Act! up to the same build as yours (12.1)

How to create an Empty Copy

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

A follow up question: I'm a beta tester for the mobile version of ACT and my business partner, whom I help with this since he's not very tech savvy, is not. I can upgrade him to the mobile database and covert his records. My question is this: should we then apply the upgrade that just came out?

Thanks,

Dan

Hey Dan,

You'll definitely need your partner to update.  It'll be the only way the Empty Copy solution will work.  Since he is on 12.0, he won't be able to open a 12.1 database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Is the update that is available via the Help, Act Update menu item the same as the mobile beta version? (ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1)

Thanks,

Dan

Correct, they are the same.  They both apply the Service Pack 1 Hot Fix 1 update.
Greg Martin
Sage
Nickel Super Contributor

While this is technically possible it's not the "easy" solution that was asked for or one that I'd recommend to anyone who needs to do this on a regular basis.  It's time consuming and will require a constantly changing database names and require either additional steps or changing backup, Outlook, and other settings.

Also while the last few versions have had pretty reliable data importing, I wouldn't set anyone up in scenario that requires importing a complete database on a regular basis - that's asking for problems.

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Copper Contributor

Thanks Len, that's true- it could cause some problems. There's also another issue- when I first set up his database for him and imported his existing data, the database it was imported into was somehow owned by me. Now that he needs to apply the 12.1 update, it says he can't because he's not the administrator. Do you know how to fix this so he can do it?

THanks,

Dan

The 'Administrator' message is common on Vista and Windows7 operating systems and resolved by running the Act! program as Administrator.  To do this: close Act! > right click on the Act! icon > select 'Run As Administrator'.

If this does not resolve the issue, you will need to make sure that the Act! username is set to Administrator in the database.  This is done under the Tools > Manage Users screen.

Greg Martin
Sage