Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Setting up second ACT database on backup drive for use from second computer

Setting up second ACT database on backup drive for use from second computer

I want to use my ACT database (and software) while travelling.  I purchased a 500mb Back up drive with the intent to back up my ACT data onto the backup drive.  I thought I did this and then I clicked on the back up drive ACT database file (in zipped format) and was not able to make sense of the files. 

My plan is to be able to hook up the the backup drive to another desktop computer and then access the ACT software with all my contacts on it.  Is this possible?  Do I have to first install ACT onto the other desktop computer before I can open the database?  Do I have to then buy a second ACT software package or can I use the original software I have? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Setting up second ACT database on backup drive for use from second computer

My plan is to be able to hook up the backup drive to another desktop computer and then access the ACT software with all my contacts on itIs this possible

No

Do I have to first install ACT onto the other desktop computer before I can open the database

Yes but you would need to do a restore as, you can't copy the database to an external drive, only a backup of the database

Do I have to then buy a second ACT software package

No. What you would like to do won't work. You need to set up a network between the two computers and the setup synchronization with the ACT! program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com