Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Setting up a report to show all changes (and nothing else)

OTW

Setting up a report to show all changes (and nothing else)

Hi,

My organisation is using Act across a few sites. I am the main user at the moment but there will soon be others joining me.

My manager needs a simple way to run a report for each user which shows exactly what changes that user has made to the database over a specified period e.g. the last 30 days. This should show all calls, emails, notes, history, contact and company changes etc. However, I DON'T want it to include any contacts or companies where no changes have been recorded. In essence, a "what this user has done over this time frame" report.

I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the Reports menu. The Company Comprehensive is closest in set up and design, but obviously includes every single company. I've had a look at the template editor but it looks hugely complicated.

Can anyone point me in the ritght direction for this? I am running Act Pro 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 5 running a remote database and syncing with a server via VPN.

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Setting up a report to show all changes (and nothing else)

What you're asking for in a report isn't possible with the ACT! database because some of the information isn't tracked by date and user.The Contact report would come the closest and can be run by date range and user and would include only those records that had relevant data in Notes, History, Opportunities and Activities. You could do a lookup for the last edited for the contact records and run a report based on that lookup but that information isn't tracked by user. It's possible that a third party report editor would be able to have a unified report that included most of what you want.

A side note: In my experience a report editor that's simple to use will have limits on its capabilities while a truly comprehensive report editor will be very complex to use.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
OTW

Hi, thank you for your response. I am surprised that this isn't something that's already in Act but I won't try to understand the technical reasons why! Thank you for the guidance with the Contact report - I will have a play with that today and report back in.

Yes, I agree that a simple UI will necessarly have some limits but just because something is powerful doesn't mean it has to be complicated - at least not initially.

Thanks again.

Copper Super Contributor

You might take a look at Stonefield Query for the kind of report you are trying to produce. There is a tral version available. I have done a lot of custom reports for clients with this.

http://www.stonefieldsoftware.com/act/

Phillip R. Horn
ACTive Certified Consultants of Virginia, LLC
888-975-3111
www.accofva.com