Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Setting up TO: email addy in custom template

Tuned Listener

Setting up TO: email addy in custom template

Is there a way to modify the TO: email address when you use an email template?  ACT! makes the erroneous assumption the email address is the one listed for the contact being viewed at the time.  We have customized ACT and generally want to send an email to other people where the body of the email has data in it related to that contact.  However, we don't want to send the email to the contact themselves.  In fact, in many cases, we don't even have an email address for the contact which ends up preventing the template from running anyway.

There are a number of things I'd like to automate with ACT!, email and Word templates.  Unfortunately, the built in tools are quite weak.

Nickel Contributor

Re: Setting up TO: email addy in custom template

That's the way ACT! is designed. Emails are sent to the contact's email address.

If you're going to send it to someone else, why don't you put this someone else's e-mail in the contact email address field?

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms
Tuned Listener

Hey Gilles, Mark here.  You are somewhat aware of how I use ACT!, probably different than many.  I've highly customized it.  We create material orders, work orders/instructions, invoices and much more with ACT!.  So let's say I'm ready to place a material order, for a job, for a specific contact.  I want to send the material order via email to the Vendor.  I want to use the email template to automatically insert multiple fields from that contact into the email.  For example, I would like for the email sent to the material vendor to automatically have the Customer name and address in the email which would tell where the material is to be delivered.  I have many custom tabs (using one of your products) with many custom fields.  One custom field for example is the build start date for the job.  Another is the material delivery date.  I'd like both of those dates automatically inserted into the email automatically.

The desire here is to hit the desired email template button, Outlook pops up with the entire email generated automatically.  All I have to do is type in the name of the appropriate distribution list for it to be sent to, enter something for the subject and hit send.  Saves us substantial time.  And minimizes errors.  And creates a consistent, professional theme our vendors see each and every time.  It would be desirable if the customizable email template would also allow me to create a customized subject where fields could be inserted.

At present, if the contact has an email addy in the field, after the email template has been activated and the email window comes up, I just erase the contact email and type in the distribution list name I want to send to.  If the contact doesn't have email, I type something quick into the field to fake it out such as "a@a.com" and then simply erase it when the Outlook email window comes up.  This is all a waste of time though and it simply seems to me that ACT! should offer a higher level of customization for creating email templates.  I'm just a lowly user/customer though with a highly customized version of ACT! though, so what do I know?  Woman Sad

Nickel Contributor

One way around it might be to use our addon called Copy Data Between Records. It takes the form of a list of records in your layout (for example, the list of the records appearing under the Relationship tab). Upon clicking one of these records, data is copied from the clicked record to the current record.

So you could copy data from your contact into the vendor's record before sending out the email.

If you want to explore this avenue or others to solve your problem, I'll be glad to assist you. You can contact me directly through my Web site.

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms
Tuned Listener

Gilles, the primary objective is time saving.  I'm not looking, in this case, for an exotic work around.  When I asked the question, I was hoping I was missing something in the way of a tool or in how the existing tool works.  Basically, I'm looking for your Excel Template Tool but for email.  Your Excel Template Tool is what I use to print the material orders, job instructions and invoices.  Great product btw!