Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Server hosting data base with remote users

Tuned Listener

Server hosting data base with remote users

If we set up a server and move a database over and then import another database, set up remote users--does that mean any changes to the profile/account such as ID status can only be changed by the main computer or can it be changed by remote users.  If there is only 2 data bases, one is going to be moved and same login and password, do we have to set up a remote user for that database that is moved or just one for the one we are going to import.

Silver Contributor

Re: Server hosting data base with remote users

Really the only thing you can't do on a remote database is make a remote, and change/add fields.  (there may be a few more)

You will be able to modify fields values like in ID/Status or other fields.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Tuned Listener

Can you add accounts/companies from a remote?  So I move my database can I still access from my laptop and make appropiate changes--since it will be my database

Silver Contributor

Yes you can

(866)710 4228

Tuned Listener

Thanks for your response.  Do I actually have to be at the computer hosting the database to change/add fields?

Also, installing ACT on the host database with my serial number that have on laptop.  If I move info from here to there, will I be able to still access my login?   Should I just use import/export feature?  Next question, the other individual, needs their database added as well, so since I am creating the database under mine, do I only add one remote user--or does the host computer have to have 2--one for me and one for her?

Tuned Listener

Jon,

So when move and import databases to new hosted server/computer and the rdp file is sent to us do we just import it into our existing databases?  I am just confused if we access the database by signing into the server, cuz we are at seperate locations.  And also if we enable shared databases once installed and remotes set up on server will all notes/histories entered be visible to everyone -- e.g when I add notes -- she can see them on her end--and hosted computer recognizes that or is there a synching process we will have to do to enable this feature.  We really want it in real time but in my research it appears that "sharing" is more for people at same locatioin.

Silver Contributor

Let me try and consolidate the issues you have here.

1) if you want to work together, you need to consolidate your databases into a single database..  There are a variety of ways to do this, but importing (with the proper steps) is what is involved.  (You can't sync disparate databases - database that were not spawned from the same master database)

2) Once you have a master mother ship database, you are ready to deploy so that others can see data.

Here are some options.

1) If everyone is in the same office all the time, consider just sharing out the database. setting up sync is really an unnecessary headache if everyone is in the same building and doesn't travel.

2) for outside or remote workere, you have several choices.  (some of which may involve outside resources like a hosting company or outsourced IT company unless you have the expertise in house (routers, vpn's firewalls and the like)

A) Sync for Remote Workers - install a copy of ACT and create an NEW REMOTE DATABASE fron the mother ship server datbase. no you can't just use your old ones.

B) Use ACT for WEB - APFW is a lighter version of ACT but allows your outside users to use an internet conection from several web browsers to access their data real time.

C) Remote Desktop, thin client, Remote Access - Users actually log into the server remotely to do their work,  Good because there is nothing to sync and everything is real time.

D) Hosting your database.  Many hosting providers (including us) can host your database and offfer all of hte above options.,

If you have remote users and want to discuss, please give me a call *866) 710 4228 or send me a message

(866)710 4228