Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Separate FN LName import to ACT

Tuned Listener

Separate FN LName import to ACT

I have data in FM Pro 10 and the first name and last names are in separate fields.  

Importing as a DBF or text does not give me the option to import each field.  I have to choose whether a first or last name is more important.  I do not want to create a USER defined field because it will not be recognized

I understand that these are system fields BUT  If ACT puts them into the system fields why is this an issue?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Separate FN LName import to ACT

System fields are hidden from the user, so therefore cannot be manually mapped during an import. However, ACT! will automatically match fields (system as well) if the field name in the source file exactly matches the field name in ACT!. So, your case to get the first and last name fields to map, you will need to make sure that the fields names in your source file for first and last name are exactly named "First Name" and "Last Name".

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Greig,

I was hoping that would be possible.  However I am missing something.  I exported FM Pro 10 to an .xls file.  Opened it in Excel 2002 and saved it as a .csv comma separated file.  First Name and Last Name are spelled correctly.

I mapped fields in to the fields in the dB.  Saved the map. Merging records if match and do not add if they do not.

After all entries I got a message saying the fields map correctly and I can complete the import.

I did and got a progress bar implying that it was working I did not get a specific message stating that it was complete but I did not get an error message either. 

When I looked at the DB I did not see any of the records that should have been imported.

I repeated the process using the saved map and still no import. 

??  Not sure what I did wrong.

RIch 

Rich 

Message Edited by tencargarage on 12-14-2009 12:54 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Let's make sure it's not an issue with your database. Try importing the files into an new, empty ACT! database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Thanks for your help.  I areadt did what you suggested.  I even did a FMP 10 find/replace looking for commas so the data would be clean. 

Since this is a new install one of the ACT techs  used software to take control of my machine.  He did everything I did except for one thing.

There is a screen prompt regarding what to do with contacts that match or do not match.

He checked when a duplicate is found "add the record".  As unintuitive as that may seem it worked. I was checking do not add the record. Which seems logical.

No where in the documentation or forum is this discussed.

I hope this helps others who find that after  what seems like "successfully" importing a file  - No records are added.  

This probably will not help those that only get a few records imported.