Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Sending Mail from ACT! with my Mac Mail Client?

Sending Mail from ACT! with my Mac Mail Client?

I am running ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0 in VMWare 3 on my Mac and I am having difficulties sending mail with anything other than Outlook. Typically, with any other application running in VMWare, when a mailto link is clicked, it automatically defaults out to my Mac's Mail client, so I can send from OSX. I prefer this method, it works well for me and allows me to maintain a single in/outbox as opposed to two or more. For some reason, whenever I click a mail link in ACT! it insists on sending mail through Microsoft Outlook on my PC, which is not the desired result. VMWare is set to use the Mac client for mails coming out of Windows, but for some reason, ACT! is overriding this. Does anyone have any suggestions or tweaks I can make to fix this? It would save me a boatload of stress and time. 

Thanks,

Asher 

Tuned Listener

Re: Sending Mail from ACT! with my Mac Mail Client?

It's a question that interest me as well as I have little experience with virtual machine products. I installed ACT2010 on my Mac(bootcamp) with Outlook 2007 and Windows 7.  Within ACT, I'm aware of two e-mail options-to use ACT's built-in e-mail editor or use Outlook- which coordinates entries in your history tab.
Platinum Elite Contributor

If I understand you situation correctly, you are wanting to have ACT! send out email through an OSX application. Unfortunately, ACT! functionality will only work within the realm of the Windows environment.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Since last month, I switched from bootcamp to VMWare Fusion3 with mac OS 10.6.  Thus far, I was able to "restore as" ACT2010.zip file and installed Hotfix 4. Plan to use outlook client for e-mail and not mac-based mail client. Details and performance issues to follow.
Nickel Elite Contributor

I have written a small addon that sends email via GMail from ACT!  I have absolutely no experience on Macs, and don't know squat about the configurations, but would love to see if it (my addon) works.  If you would send me an email at rbrdatasolutions@gmail.com, I'd like to go over some config options and let you try it. 

Thanks...

p.s. the details are at http://www.rbrdatasolutions.com - you might be able to tell if it'd work by the description...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Nickel Contributor

I have been trying demos of ACT Premium for Web, offered by some of the ACT hosting partners, on a Mac. Whne clcking on an email link in the Contact window the Mac Mail program opens and sends the mail. Now I'm curious if Word would do the same.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Barry,
I'm curious...is the email generated by Mac Mail being recorded in ACT! history? I wouldn't think that it would. The ACT! web client just uses a URL that points to your default email client. For Word, if it is the Mac version, it will not work as ACT!'s integration would not be compatible.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Contributor

The email was sent from Mac Mail and received by the receipent. However, the sent email did not create a History log item. keep in mind that I am online using a demo of ACT for Web at one of the Sage hosting partners. I also created and cleared an Activity on the demo and it too did not create a History item. So the hosting company is probably not allowing us to run a fully functional ACT online. They also have everything under the Write menu grayed out except for Write / Email Message so I was not able to test if the Mac version of MS Word on my Mac machine would automatically integrate like the Mac Mail and Safari does.

I think using an online Hosting service for ACT is a possible solution to users who love ACT but want to switch to a Mac. Another interesting thing I discovered during testing the different demos on different hosting companies is that some allow you to log on through Safari and some only work with IE or Firefox. I