Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Second computer using the same database

Copper Contributor

Second computer using the same database

[ Edited ]

I am currently using Act! 2009 on a laptop. I am now setting up a desktop computer that needs to use the same database. Can anyone point me toward tutorials that address how to do this? From what I've read, if I've understood it correctly, it seems like I can either share on a network, or sync the two computers. What are the trade-offs with the different ways to set this up?

The laptop is running Vista, the desktop has XP.

Thanks

Message Edited by Vincenzo on 12-21-2009 07:43 AM
JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Second computer using the same database

Only with ACT! Premium there are two choices to sync remotes over Network or Internet rather than ACT! Standard Application Sync.

If the two computers are only going to run ACT! on a Home or Work Wireless/Wired Lan then setup a Share database.  If you have not been to there is a ton of information on ACT's Knowledgebase and Online Assistance that you can search for Answer ID's like this one #"13878" How to Share an ACT! by Sage Database over a Network. http://www.act.com/support/technicalsupport/index.cfm?CFID=64632271&CFTOKEN=68740265

Just refine the search by first selecting drop downs under "Search by Product" and than enter keywords in the keyword serach window.

If you plan on running remote (subscriber) database on laptop your Desktop should be the server leaving it powered up 24/7 (running Vista Home or XP is fine) hosting the Publisher (Parent) database. Many like this because it does not require IIS6.0 or higher on PC and easy to maintain and trouble shoot. Check out Answer ID 21832, just put that in the Search keyword window to readup and find other links to help open up ports on firewall, setup VPN tunnel through routers.  Using Free if not for commercial use www.Logmein.com HamachiVPN

The other option is Internet Sync.

Good luck,

JM

Platinum Elite Contributor

You have two options, sharing a single database or setting up synchronization. Either way you willl need to setup a home network between the desktop machine and the laptop. My suggestion would be to use a small router so that both systems can share the same internet account. If you choose to share a single database, the laptop would need to be the database server, ACT! would be installed on both systems and the laptop would need to be connected to your network and powered up to use the databse from the desktop system. Most likely the better choice would be to setup synchronization with the desktop system being the sync server. That way you would have copies of the database on both systems. Then you could even do a remote sync via the internet using a third party link like Hamachi.

Hope this information helps. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Actually the standard version of the ACT! program can sync via the internet using a third party link like Hamachi.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

If the two systems are in the same location on a network, sharing as a network is the best.

Sync is the option if you want the laptop to have ACT! when not connected.

have a look at the items on Application Sync and VPN on http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html