Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Searching the contact field

Searching the contact field

is there a simple way of searching the contact field by a string.  If I entered the contact as Dr. James Doe, Then I would like to search by any of the 3 words.  Is this possible.  if Yes, how.  Thanks. I am a newbie to ACT.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Searching the contact field

You can use either Lookup by example or the Advanced lookup. For Lookup by example use the % wildcard in the field as follows %string% and in the Advanced lookup use the contains operator.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thank you. something new I learnt that % is the wildcard for ACT.
Copper Contributor

Always feel free to ask questions here, even if they are simple questions when you are new. Future new members will benefit from seeing your posts and having their questions answered. Smiley Happy
Copper Contributor

Perhaps this should be a new post...

I am trying to use Advance search to eliminate certain records

I have a permission for email field and various users have entered negative reponses for their contacts.   Examples are N, n, no, NO, n-rejected, etc.   The common feature is that they all begin with a small or large cap letter n.

So ideally I want to de-select anything with n%.  This does not seem to work in the way I expect ....I put 'Not equal to" in the drop down and then n% in the value.   Doesn't work.

any suggestions.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you don't put anything in the permission field except for the negative response, then the easy way to create the lookup that you want is to do a lookup on that field for the field being empty. That can be done with the menu lookups and does not require the advanced lookup.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

thanks for your thought....unfortunately there are other kinds of notes in their for many records.