05-18-2015 12:00 PM
Today I upgraded my Act! Pro from v17.0 to 17.1 but now the Search function in the upper right main window of ACT! will not find email addresses, etc.
Is there some reset or input I need to do to make this extremely useful function work correctly again?
When this Search function was introduced to ACT! some versions ago I was delighted and have come to rely upon it to find customers through their often multiple emails.
I have Act! Pro Version 22.214.171.124, Hot Fix 2 using Windows 7.
05-18-2015 12:38 PM
How very weird. The Search function seems to be working again. And I did nothing.
That's good news and I hope it continues.
But now I notice that my history drop down menu previously entered options were mostly (not all) deleted.
To be clear these are the entries I enered via the ADD fundtion so that when I record a History of a purchase I would select from those entries. A great time saver.
Is it possible I need to re-set something to access those histories again?
Bugs are sometimes so weird!
05-19-2015 07:12 AM
There is a service that runs on the data server that indexes the database and allows that feature to run. It only works after it creates the indeses. Also, the service can stop (rarely) but this can cause the function to stop.
The implication of the service stopping is greatest in terms of universal search and utilization of ACT premium mobile. other than this, most users can continue to use most features of the program.
Here is an article that elaborates a bit in case it happens again
05-19-2015 01:22 PM
Thank you for the link, Jon.
Any idea if I can do anything (reasonable) to recover my History (Record) drop down menu items?
I can, of course, build them up again over time but using the ones I already entered would save me a ton of time!
In any case, thanks again for your help!
05-20-2015 06:47 AM
The history drop downs are not connected to the search feature. do you know how they got lost?
But basically no, I don't think there is an easy way
05-20-2015 12:11 PM
Thanks again for the feebback, Jon. I very much appreciate your assistance.
All I know is that the History drop down menu entries vanished immediately following the upgrade from v17.0 to 17.1 so I suspect it is a bug from that upgrade. Nothing else happened on my end to cause the loss.
However having the global Search function work again was a key feature in my using Act! Hooray for the pixies that did that for me!
I do hope that future upgrades are more carefully debugged before release however. Lost work is time and time is money.
Act! still has hefty competition from other companies and this is exactly the kind of thing that can lose them customers. When I perform an upgrade I don't want to have to wonder if I will be taking a chance with my business data being lost.
After all that's why I'm an old customer here ...and have been since Act! first came out in pre-Windows DOS for that matter!