Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Search for contacts not grouped

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Search for contacts not grouped

I'm looking for a way to check my contacts for any that I may have forgotten to group.  I found one answer in the forums.  I tried to follow it and it didn't make any sense.  It suggested redefining User 1 to "grouped".  The next part didn't make any sense to me.  It says creat a lookup of existing members of a group - understand that part.  Then "set some field such as User 1 to a value such as grouped by clicking on edit, replace field, select the User 1 field and add the value Grouped.  Then do it for each group folder.  I understand the concept as now you have a field you can querry on.  I don't understnad how you get the contacts in the lookup selected from the groups tab to all have "grouped" show up in the User 1 field so I can querry on the User 1 field.

If anyone can explain what step I am missing in the above method, thank you.  I'm also open to any other suggestions on a way to accomplish a check on my contacts so I know that they are all grouped.

Thanks,

Nancy J. Saltzstein

Purfoods, Inc.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nancy J. Saltzstein
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Search for contacts not grouped

Right click on the group and select "Create Lookup".  This will create a lookup of the contacts in your group.  Now, go to Edit > Replace Field...

You will need to do this for each group.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nancy J. Saltzstein
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Super Contributor

Right click on the group and select "Create Lookup".  This will create a lookup of the contacts in your group.  Now, go to Edit > Replace Field...

You will need to do this for each group.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

Thank you so much!!! I knew I missing an easy part of this!!

sorry I don't get this - I have exactly this problem

I have just cleaned up the database and put contacts in groups

but I now want to do a lookup of all the contacts NOT in groups

please explain the steps more in details

thank you

Administrator

Hi bollemie,

The process is basically looking up the contacts in every group, then saving some data in a normally empty field (i.e. one of the User fields) Once you're finished, you can lookup on the field and find contacts where there is no data in the field. These should be the contacts that do not appear in any groups.

Repeat these steps for each group:

1. Right click group name > Create Lookup
  2. Edit > Replace Field to enter data (i.e. "X") in the normally blank field

Once complete, click Lookup > Other Fields to find contacts where the edited field does not contain data. You'll now have a lookup of all contacts not currently in any group. You can take any action on these contacts you like.

You should clean up the data you entered into the field after you're finished working with these contacts. Just Lookup > All Contacts then Edit > Replace Field and save the edited field with a blank value.

Thanks I get it now in theory - I will try at work tomorrow - but is there really no quicker way ? I have over 70 groups !!!! It is going to take me a long time to add that field ....

Shame Search, Query or Lookup doesn't work on groups nor notes/history.

Thanks for your help ! I hope I can do this .....
Administrator

Sadly, no, it's the only way. There used to be a 3rd party addon that could add a lookup function for this, however I don't know if still exists.

You can perform lookups on certain things in the notes/history. Check out Lookup > Contact Activity.
Alternatively, you can use the search feature to find keywords in notes/history entries.