Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Search by First Name when adding Contacts to a Company

Search by First Name when adding Contacts to a Company

I new to Act V16 am building up my database and adding Contacts to Companies as I use them. I think of Contacts that are related to the company but I know them on a first name basis.  I can only "Look for:" by last name.  Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to have Act "Look for:" either?  Is there a "*, FIRSTNAME" format or something that will wildcard the last name and then look for firstname?  Thank you. -aarnold

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Search by First Name when adding Contacts to a Company

[ Edited ]

Aaron,

In the Contacts detail view click on the little box to the right of the Contact field and change the Last Name and First Name over.

If you only put one word/name in the Contact field, by default Act! will make that the Last Name so you need to change it when you enter it.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

You were giving me the answer to how can I edit my contact so the first name goes to the last name field, etc.  My contacts are properly entered into the database.  The problem is in how I search for them.

I think I know what your ar saying but let me ask my question a little more clearly.  I am attaching contacts to companies.  When I click the "Add/Remove Contacts..." button, a new box opens to manually add or remove static company members. When I click the "Contacts..." button to choose more contacts, a new box opens called "Select Contacts".  Now this search is by last name only so if I am on a first name basis with the client, I have to exit the window and look up the contact by first name to find his last name and then go back to the box and add the contact to the company.

So yeah, if I can toggle something to search by first name, great! or if I can type some time of command that would trick ACT to wildcard all last names and then look at first, that would be great too.   I just can't find the toggle on that box or in a global setting.

Nickel Contributor

As far as I'm aware the Select Contact functionality is hard coded and cannot be changed, also you cannot use wildcards. I think it would be a good idea if you could have a preference functionality so that you could change it to first name if you wanted.

Chris

Platinum Elite Contributor

The lookup list for adding to companies is hard coded to look for the last name because any contact search is my the last name. However there are two alternatives for what you want. The first option is to create a lookup of the contacts you want to add to companies then go to Companies and open the add remove contacts and specify that you want to use the current lookup rather than all contacts. The second option is for when you want to add a single contact to a company. In the contact view go to the Group/Companies tab, select Companies and Add/Remove Companies and select the company you want to add the contact too.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you.  I also found in V16 under Tools/Preferences/Admin/Company, the first box asks if you would like to add companies when there is more than 'X' contact(s) with the same company name.  This will probably help me a bit too so I thought I would share.

Thank you all for your tips,

Aaron