Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Seamless moving between two or three PAD files

Seamless moving between two or three PAD files

We upgraded ACT! versions from 2000 forward.  While using ACT! 2006, one of our staff was able to move from a contact on one PAD file to a contact on another PAD file without issue.  When we upgraded to ACT 2008 this function no longer worked, and that continues to be the case with ACT! 2011.  It is a function of changing from a flat database to a SQL Server database, but the users were very much used to the free flow .Thus the upgrade has not been pleasant as it has presented the sales staff with a timing and location issue as now, as when they move to a new PAD file, the first PAD file closes and when they return to the original PAD file, they do not return to the previous contact they were working with, but to the default login location.  This process happens a number of times a day and over teh course of the day, the time it takes to move from one PAD, handle the contact info and then return to the previous PAD file and locate the contact they were not finished with adds up and is frustrating.

Is there any way to maintain Previous Location (Previous Lookup) on a PAD file so that when logging on at any time, the user returns to the last contact they were working with rather than to the default location?  That in and of itself would be a great help.

Or is there a way to maintain two or more data sheets in the same PAD file that can be selected when the contact is first established? For instance, Data sheet 2 would have the same fields as Data Sheet 1 plus some additional fields, and the same would be true of Data Sheet 3 (the same fileds as Data Sheet 1). Different background color for each type of Data Sheet would also helpful, as would user ID control which allows the user who set up the record to modify it, and by default all others have read only with the option of default user giving write permissions to specified staff.

Silver Contributor

Re: Seamless moving between two or three PAD files

having multiple .pad files indicates you ahve multiple databases.  It is rarely reccomended to have more than one database for the reasons you are describing. Difficulty moving between them, much easier chance of cuplicates, hard to share, etc.

Much better would be to create a single database and TRAIN the users how to segment and quickly find what they need without having to move between multiple databases.

The challenges you have mentioned have been part of having more than one database for at least the past 6 versions of ACT. 

Persmissions, limited Access, syncing between databases are all features of ACT that work well when set up properly.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you for your quick reply to my post yesterday.

Our contact database has been growing since version 2000 came out, and up until last year there was only a need for 1 database.  That changed when the marketing team was asked to take care of another task which involved a different set of criteria (different contacts) and had a different purpose.  This year a new function has been added, and again, a new PAD file has been added.  They opted to do it this way to keep the three different groups separated so they would not get commingled. The data that they are collecting is different fro each group. And even though Support says Version 2006 did not have the ability to free flow between PADs, we were doing it. 

We have one more SAGE ACT! 2011 license and I may be installing the application on another computer later today to train myself up on the application, and have it ready for a new employee who will be joining us during the coming month.  But before I do that, I want to ask you about the Web version of ACT. During my chat with ACT! Support yesterday, one solution that came up was the possibility of using the Web version.  Would it be possible to seamlessly move between three databases with the Web Version?

Failing that, it would appear that we have to find a way to use Groups to keep the different categories of contacts separate so reporting would be accurate. Does SAGE ACT! have any webinars that are specific to creation of and maintenance of groups within a PAD?

Bob

Platinum Elite Contributor

First I would suggest that youuse the term database rather than PAD as the PAD file is only a pointer to the database. Using it to as the reference for the database is confusing.

The capability you referred to, hoving more than one database open at the same time has never existed and I have support experience going back to the early DOS version. I believe there was an add on for ACT! 3-6 that allowed a fast swap between databases but none that was available for ACT! 2005 and later..

Basically you have three options.

ACT! for the WEB is a possibility but I wouldn't suggest it. The local installation and setup to host three databases would be significant. An alternative would be to have the databases hosted and that would be costly.

Another alternative would be to setup virtual machines on each system so each virtual machine coulc have ACT! running a diferent database. Again I wouldn't suggest that option.

The best would be to upgrade to the premiun version of ACT! and us the limited access to control which contact each user group accesses.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you Roy.  I was using the word database but did not appear to be getting through to SAGE ACT! support until I began referring to the databases as PAD files. I dopersonnaly  prefer using the word database.  I was not involved iwth the installation and configuration of the previous iterations of ACT! at our facility.  Fast Swap may in fact  be what was installed by previous Technical Support Personnel.  I will look into the feature set and cost of the Premium version and pass this information on to the sales team. Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If I can provide more information feel free to contact me through a privat message or off-line.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129