Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Screen goes black

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Screen goes black

As per the Google search I linked earlier in this thread... it seems to be a common issue on that board.

Not sure what else to suggest
Copper Contributor

That's fine Mike, thanks for your efforts.
Platinum Elite Contributor

You might try contacting support for the video board or the PC vendor and see if they have an idea
Highlighted

I have been plagued with a similar situation where the screen blinks black.

When performing an Attach File under the History tab, as well in a few other cases, the same symtom of a blinking black screen (1-2 seconds) occurs every time.  This symtom occured under two different video boards and drivers (ATI and NVIDIA) so the presumed cause as video driver is suspect.

What is interesting is that for a moment before the black blinking screen, the screen from the Attach File is displayed properly before the black blinking screen happens.  Having messed around for awhile with various installations getting the video to work properly for mulitple monitors, I suspect a number of registry entries for multiple monitors somehow are hanging around improperly in the registry.  My guess is that somehow ACT is grabbing a registry entry for a non-existent monitor and then after the black screen, redisplays the data.

Disabling video acceleration did not fix the problem.  Video works fine for all processors except ACT.

OS is XP/SP3 and ACT is version 2007. 

Copper Contributor

Re: Screen goes black - Problem Solved

Actually the solution to the problem was very simple.   I have one old dos application that I very infrequently open with winxp.   I had set the dos window to open maximized.   From that point on is when I started having this problem with the ACT screens going black.   I guess this black screen was actually a dos window of some sort.

When I re-adjusted the dos window size back to normal, I no longer got the black screen in ACT.

I should point out though that this solution was arrived at purely by coincidence as I had a techie in to do something and he re-sized the dos window.   Had that not happened, I would still be looking at the black screen.

Go figure eh?

Re: Screen goes black - Problem Solved

Glad the elimination of the DOS window resizing worked for you victord66 but it did not work for me.

Having done some further testing, the screen flashes black when attaching a file to history that is 20K+ but not a 2K file.

The screen flashes black on all of my databases some of which are small and the screen flashes black regardless of the number of files in the folder where the file is located. 

This seems to indicate to a timing issue of some sort in that it does not happen on small files being attached.  I don't believe my problem has anything to do with the video driver or card.

As previously stated, after the black screen the screen is refreshed again with the same window.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Two suggestions:

1. If your machine has 1GB RAM or more across more than one module try removing each in turn and see if that makes a difference. You would need min 512MB RAM in place. [There is a small chance that there is a faulty RAM module]

2. There is a reaonably rare condition where ACT! 10/11 will deplete video resources known as GDI Objects in Task Manager. If GDI objects approach a count of 9999 video errors will occur. You can monitor GDI Objects by:

1/ Ctrl + Alt + Delete

2/ Choose Task Manger

3/  View menu and Select Columns, ensure the GDI Objects is checked.

4/  Chose Processes Tab and sort to keep an eye on this parameter as you test again.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog