Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Screen-compatible bitmap cannot be created

Tuned Listener

Screen-compatible bitmap cannot be created

After I have been moving between groups and contacts for about an hour I get the above message followed by "Act has encountered an error. Please shut down the application".

I am using Act Ver 2009 (11.0) on XP Pro with latest service packs etc and  2gb or Ram

I have scoured this site and the web and cannot find a suitable fix.

I have attached some screen shots that may or may not be of use.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Screen-compatible bitmap cannot be created

I would suspect a video driver problem.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I thought that too, however have updated the drivers and still have the same problem.

It's amost as if the cache/memory is getting full as I toggle between group and contact records.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Again, anything like that would be controlled by Windows. Another possiblility is a problem with temp files.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?  We have the same problem on at least two systems.  Updating video drivers also did not help.  The same behavior you described causes the crashes.  Using Process Explorer, I can see that the program is allocating GDI objects but not deallocating them.  The program crashes when the # of GDI objects allocated reaches 9999.

Tuned Listener

Never resolved this. The only thing I can think of is some custom icons I have are causing the issue.

[ Edited ]

I've got the same problem with different ACT! 11.1 installations ( Win7, Win2008..., Win Xp)

I found this website for help

I hope Sage can fix this asap. It doesn't seem to be too difficult.

Message Edited by ghollister on 01-27-2010 11:16 AM

Any fix for this yet? 
Platinum Super Contributor

One cause for this issue as noted by Tara_Tech is that the GDI objects count reaches the default limit of 10,000.  A resolution to this particular issue is to increase the Process Handle Quota.  Instructions for this can be found in this article: GDI+ Generic Errors.  Look at the section titled 'Attempting to Launch Layout or Report Designer'.

As background - many times the increase in the GDI objects is related to highly customized layouts with large numbers of fields added to them.  As you switch from screen to screen the GDI count increases until you hit the limit.  Another work-around is to periodically close and reopen the Act! program, which resets the count.

Greg Martin
Sage