[ Edited ]

I am using

ACT Pro v. 22.0.205.0 Update 4

Database is on the LOCAL DRIVE C:

Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Dell Optiplex 7070

x64 based PC

I also use a Synology NAS and want to get my ACT Backup files onto the NAS. I am aware that you cannot backup TO THE NAS, and instead have to backup to the local drive, and then bring it to the NAS.

I backup my ACT data two ways:

Manually backup from within ACT. I deposit the backup file into a folder called C:\SynologyDrive\ACT. When I do this, it works fine, and it automatically gets SYNCED to the NAS. This folder was created by a Synology Drive program, and anything deposited into this folder or subfolders is automatically synced to the NAS. All my other programs work fine- Quickbooks and other data backups.

I also set up a SCHEDULER BACKUP twice daily. And when it makes the backups, and it puts it into this folder, the file is there, and it appears to have been created properly, but it DOES NOT SYNC to the NAS.

I think I may have discovered the reason for the problem, but cannot figure out how to solve that problem.

I was going to uninstall and reinstall the NAS software- thinking it may be a glitch with their software, so in preparation for that, I went into the SynologyDrive folder, SELECTED ALL FILES, COPIED ALL FILES, and then went into a dummy temporary folder (XXX ACT backup files) and said to PASTE ALL FILES into that folder. Of the approximate 30 files I had – only about 9 were from the ACT SCHEDULER, and I received the following error message…

Folder Access Denied

You’ll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder

ACT! Company Name (and a bunch of numbers and letters- which is included in the file name)

Type: Compressed (zipped) Folder

Size: 59.1 MB

Date Modified: 5/21/2020 9:18 AM

Availability status: Sync pending

Then it gave me the options of: CONTINUE, SKIP, CANCEL

When I hit CONTINUE- it copied it into the new folder

I spoke to Synology, and they suggest that there appears to be some issue with the way ACT SCHEDULER creates the BACKUP ZIP FILE, and seems to be creating the backup zip file with some PERMISSION LIMITATIONS

In my ACT program under HELP ABOUT it lists

PAD FILE

C:\DATA\ACT\companyname.pad

User name: My name

Security role: Administrator

Database product: Microsoft- SQL- Server 2014 – Express Edition (64-bit)

Database product version: 12.0.5223.6 -SP2

My question- why is the SCHEDULER BACKUP creating ZIP FILES with some type of PERMISSIONS LIMITATIONS? And how do we fix this?

Additional information regarding the update just below…

I am comparing two backup ZIP files (one created manually and the other created via ACT SCHEDULER)

On the file that was created manually (backup zip file)

RIGHT CLICK on FILE, PROPERTIES

Select SECURITY TAB

It shows 3 entries under Group or user names

System

My name and My email address

Administrators (Optiplex-7070\Administrators)

On the file that was created by ACT SCHEDULER (backup zip file)

Right click on file, properties

Select SECURITY TAB

It shows the letter I in a blue circle, saying: You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Advance to continue.

There is an ADVANCED button below which says: For special permissions or advanced settings, click Advanced.

If I click on the ADVANCED button…

Under PERMISSIONS tab, it has the letter I in blue circle, saying: You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click continue to attempt the operation with administrative permissions.

If I click the CONTINUE button, it says the OWNER is Administrators (Optiplex-7070\Administrators)

And under PERMISSIONS tab it shows

Administrators (Optiplex-7070\Administrators)

System

DOES NOT LIST my name & my email address

SOMEHOW the ACT SCHEDULER backup routine is creating Backup ZIP FILES with some different SECURITY settings, and that seems to be causing problems in Syncing the zipfile from this folder to the NAS.

This is apparently an ACT problem. Not a Synology problem.

One final clarification…

I read this article about “What is UAC (User Account Control) and why you should never turn it off”

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/uac-why-you-should-never-turn-it-off

And when I right click on the Backup ZIP FILE that was created by ACT! Scheduler, it has a UAC SYMBOL on DELETE & on RENAME

When I right click on the Backup ZIP FILE that I created manually in ACT! It DOES NOT HAVE ANY UAC SYMBOLS.

So somehow the ACT! Scheduler is creating a backup Zip File with DIFFERENT properties- which is causing a problem in SYNCING the ZIP file to the NAS.

That is an ACT! Problem- please help me fix this

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Scheduler backup zip file not syncing to NAS

The Act! Backup does create a Zip file, but if it is creating a permissions issue - it MUST be because the Windows User is using a folder accessible to that user and no one else. So either user the c:\user\public\mydocuments\act\backup (your path may be slightly different) and put the backup files there and they will be available for your NAS backup. OR create a new folder at the C level c:\ActBackup and make sure that is shared for EVERYONE, then the NAS should see that too.

-Bud

Bud Rice
Pleasanton, CA
Highlighted

You say that it is a problem with how the folder is shared. But if I do a manual backup into this file, the NAS is able to copy it to the NAS. And if I just insert a test TEXT FILE- it is able to copy it to the NAS. It is only if the ACT SCHEDULER creates a backup and puts it into this folder that the NAS is not able to copy it to the NAS. So it seems that there is something with how ACT SCHEDULER is creating the backup file.

I noticed that in ACT my user name is Samuel B. Handelman, but in Windows I am listed as Samuel Handelman. Could that have anything to do with it?

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

I don’t think the Act! User Name vs Windows User Name would be the issue. Agree with you very strange. Please either use the scheduler to do a back up of the Act! DEMO database, or create a NEW test database and see if the scheduler and copy to the NAS works OK.

-Bud

Bud Rice
Pleasanton, CA
Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Had this problem before on a different system but could be the same -

ACT does not create a standard ZIP file but one specific to ACT.

When items are copied to the NAS drive they are interrogated to make sure they are virus free and to do this the zip file is investigated by the software.

It finds it cannot read the zip file and therefore thinks it's a protected file, it's not, it's just a non-standard zip file.

Highlighted

I created a new TEST Database

I then scheduled a new backup using SCHEDULER, to be deposited into the C:\SynologyDrive\ACT folder

It made the backup, but the same problem, the NAS does not copy the database backup file to the NAS

Something is preventing the file from being copied over.

I then did a manual backup, and it worked fine. It was able to copy the backup file to the NAS. Strange.

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

OK how about a BAT file that runs on Windows Scheduler that does a file copy from the backup folder to the NAS folder?

Example: 

Copy c:\Act_backup_folder   z:\nas_backup_folder

My formatting might be off but you get the idea.  Then attach the BAT file to windows scheduler to run each night.

Have the Act! Schedule only keep a day or two backups so when you copy it there will only be one or two files there.

-Bud

Bud Rice

Pleasanton, CA 94588