Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Scheduled Backup in V21

Copper Contributor

Scheduled Backup in V21

I am running V21 and I have set an automated backup task set.  Each time I run a backup, it fails with the following:

Error:

Failed to log into the database.  Error accessing or processing a PAD file - Y:\ACTV21.pad

The pad file is not the same location as the database location.  The actual database location is not even on the same drive, nor is it in a shared directory.

What could be causing this issue?

...T

Employee

Re: Scheduled Backup in V21

Hello,

"The designated location for the backup must be a local directory on the server or machine that holds the database files."

19218 How to use the Act! Scheduler to automatically back up your Act! database

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19218

Carl Mag

Act! Support
Growth made easy.
CRM & Marketing Automation built for small business success.

Copper Contributor

The location of the database is on another machine.  The location to back up to is local to a running instance of ACT V21.

Copper Contributor

Is this not possible?

Employee

Hi,

It is a limitation of Microsoft SQL. > It can only do automated backs on same pc/drive.

Carl Mag

Act! Support
Growth made easy.

Copper Contributor

So here is my scenario:

* Multiple users accessing the same data

* Currently I have a instance of ACT running on a VM (trial mode that has not expired yet), along with the database residing on that VM

My concerns:

* I do not want to consume a license of ACT on a VM that is not being used

* I want to make a copy to a directory that normally gets backed up by my backup software

* I also prefer not to run the database on one of my users PCs as they are more susceptible to failure

What is the recommended configuration?

Employee

Hello,

The setup is outside of design specifications for the automated backups, but for best result the session needs to remain open and it has to be a fully virtualized desktop.

-Carl

Carl Mag
Act! Support
Growth made easy.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Tom,

You would normally run act! scheduler on the server hosting the act! database, which in your case is the VM. backups can be saved locally on the server machine and then these are backed up via your backup application. 

If you are wanting to backup the database over the network you have to make sure that the service is not running via the local system account you have to run Act! Scheduler as a windows domain user that has full permissions to the network share.

also use the UNC path not a mapped drive.

hope this helps