Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Scan for Duplicates Not Finding known Duplicates

Copper Super Contributor

Scan for Duplicates Not Finding known Duplicates

"Scan for Duplicates" reports there are no duplicates, when in fact there are a number or exact duplicates in the database.  What is wrong?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Scan for Duplicates Not Finding known Duplicates

What are your duplicate checking filter settings?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

I have tried several combinations including Contact/phone and contact/address1/phone.

i have successfully scanned for dups many times in the past with this database without problems. The only difference this time is that I just moved the database to a new computer.

i suspect some sort of problem. I did do a repair on the database, but it didn't help.

Silver Contributor

Try a field that you know to have duplicates (like the state field) and nothing else.  Does that work?  Try the demo database also..  that will help you to know if it's a training issue (user), installation of the program, or the database itself.

Good Luck!

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

When you use multiple fields for the duplicate scan, all must fields must match exactly. The aST! duplicate scan doesn't have the capabilities for a fuzzy search.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

I didn't have a demo, but I created a new test database with mostly duplicate records.  The Scan for Duplicates identified them correctly.

Also, the database in question is remotely synced with two other databases that contain the same information (of course).  The Scan for Duplicates routine is not identifying the duplicates I know exist on any of the three essentially equal databases.

Finally, on the database in question, I manually made two new records using the exact same procedure I used to make duplicate records in the test database I created.  The Scan for Duplicates procedure failed to identify the new contacts as duplicates.

When I scanned for duplicates on the test database, there was a momentary pause while the system found them (in a database with 4 records).  When I do the same on my regular database with 2400 records, the notice that no duplicates were found comes up immediately.

By the way, I found nothing in the knowledgebase about this.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's yet another insight.  Most recently, I have been accessing this issue on a remote database.  However, it first occurred on the parent database.  On this board, it is asserted that duplicate checking can only be done on the parent.  That's not my experience. (I am running Act 2013 Pro with Hot Fix 1)  However the error messages I am getting are exactly the same including the metadata issue) on both the parent and the remote.  (Others have gotten that same message when trying to change the defaults through tools/preferences, but it is not stated if or how it was remedied.)

Basically you have proved that the problem is with your main database. Do all the maintenance repairs on that database within the ACT! program and in ACTdiag. If that doesn't fix the problem then you will need to consider having the database repair.

If you need to do frequent duplicate scans, you should consider the third party product from http://www.egenconsulting.com/egcproducts.html.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Can you share with me the Act and Actdiag actions I should execute in attempt to do a full repair?

In the ACT! program database maintenance is on the Tools menu. In ACTdiag there are several repairs listed on the menus.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129