Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Saved Template in ACT doesn't show up in list

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Saved Template in ACT doesn't show up in list

Hello, 

I have updated a template in ACT 19, and saved it according to the instructions.  When I try to use the template it is not showing up in the list of templates.  If I go and search for it I can find the letter, but not in the list of templates to use.  

Please, let me know how to insert a template or save an updated one correctly to use with other customers.  We have made a new contact screen and the mail merge fields don't show up in the ACT list.  

Thank You for any help.

Sabrina Cunningham

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author padapew
‎01-26-2018 10:45 AM
Employee

Re: Saved Template in ACT doesn't show up in list

I would start with a Office repair for that Word error.
Microsoft has easy instructions or an IT professional can assist

MSFT repair link (takes 10 minutes)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

I've moved this thread to the Act! forum rather than the Development one - to make sure it gets the right visibility.

There's one of two possible things going on here.

Either:

a) Act is set to use the wrong template type

Go to Tools > Preferences > Communication
Make sure the default word processor is set to the one that you used to create the template.

b) The template was saved in the wrong format.

Sometimes, when creating a template in word, the template ends up getting saved as a .doc instead of a .adt - this means that the template won't show up in the list. You can manually browse to the file and rename it to a .adt file - or check out this KB on saving as an ADT.

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22869

Hello, I manually renamed the file type to .adt and I can't open the document in word 2016.  I wonder if I need to associate .adt documents to open in Word 2016?  I tried it and it opened in word, but do I want to put a check mark in the box to make this permanent? 

Thank You

Employee

If you permanently change to open with Word I think the one downside is when in the pick a template in Act! its missing the logo saying it is an Act! file.
However, My Act! still knows how to open it.  If it gives you trouble you can go back to Open with and pick Act! as default again

[ Edited ]

I did associate .adt to word and when it opens nothing shows up on the screen. I need help with this. UGH! Thank You I don't understand how to get word templates to show up in ACT.
Thank You 

I opened the doc in Act  and it was blank, the attached is an error I received trying to bring up the fields list. 

[ Edited ]

I opened the document as a merge document and nothing shows up on the screen. I clicked on add ins and saw the ACT tab and tried to bring up the fields list and the attached photo is the error I received.
Thank You

Solution
Accepted by topic author padapew
‎01-26-2018 10:45 AM
Employee

I would start with a Office repair for that Word error.
Microsoft has easy instructions or an IT professional can assist

MSFT repair link (takes 10 minutes)

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c...