Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Save as a new database error message

Save as a new database error message

I have a data base that I am attempting to modify and want to save it under a new name so I can keep a backup of the old one.  All attempts to "Save Copy As" return the message of : "The specified locatation for your copy database is invalid.  A database must be copied on a drive on your machine."

I have attempted to save it into numerous folders and directly into the C: drive which is the default hard drive for this laptop.

I am open to suggestions here.

Tuned Listener

Re: Save as a new database error message

Hi bigsurferdave,
I know you say that you are trying to save the database to the local C:\ drive but is the orginal database actually on this machine?

(Could it actually be stored on a server/main machine). That would still mean you were saving over the network, which will not work

If this is the case you should go to that machine to do the 'Save Copy As'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, just a hunch (i might be way off here)  -> your hard drive isnt compressed is it?

Right click the C:\ drive in 'My Computer' and choose Properties.

What is the value of 'compress drive to save disk space'?

Tuned Listener

The original set up of Act! was done on this machine.  I have attempted to follow a repair link that went through a half dozen procedures with no positive result.  When I did the upgrade from 8 to 9 I had to pay Act a ransom to recover my database that would not transfer.

It is a sweet program but there always seems to be an irritating bug in it somewhere that will not let it perform at 100%.  I have always also had a problem getting it to sync with Outlook.

compress drive check box is clear. 

I have a network but it is crashed and not sharing well.  Could it be seeing the local drive as part of the network?

Tuned Listener

What exactly are you trying to acheive by doing save copy as?

Also, when you say Outlook Sync are you talking about Tools -> Outlook Activities -> Update outlook activities?

If so you could try to remove outlook activities and then attempt to Update outlook activities again.

When you use Update outlook activities are you getting a progress bar at all? does it appear then go away almost instantly?

Kind regards,

Cesc

Platinum Elite Contributor

bigsurferdave wrote:

The original set up of Act! was done on this machine.  I have attempted to follow a repair link that went through a half dozen procedures with no positive result.  When I did the upgrade from 8 to 9 I had to pay Act a ransom to recover my database that would not transfer.

It is a sweet program but there always seems to be an irritating bug in it somewhere that will not let it perform at 100%.  I have always also had a problem getting it to sync with Outlook.

Try the Save_As with the demo database to see if it's a database or program issue

Also see if you're running the latest build - with 9.0, it's 9.0.1 + hotfix 3

Make sure you backup before doing anything, just in case there is a problem

Copper Contributor

Hi, had just this problem, really infuriating. I was trying to export changes from an orphaned remote database to an empty copy, such that I could import them back into a new remote database. hence saving the changes that the remote user had made in the 20 odd days since they were cut off (by a server crash).

I was trying to create an empty copy of the remote database on the remote users laptop, logged onto ACT! as that user. No luck.

I then logged onto the database as an adminstrator of the original database and saved an empty copy. No problem.

I should've guessed that you had to be the administrator to save a copy, but an error message to that effect would've been useful....

Roly

Roland Horwood
Frame Design
TJ Crump Oakwrights Ltd
www.oakwrights.co.uk